rooster encouraging girls to go broody

wemimew

Songster
Apr 17, 2019
Is this even a thing?! I swear my rooster is making my silkies go broody - I don’t even get a month gap between breaks anymore! I have seen him multiple times pop into the coop with one or two girls and pretend to make a nest and sit on it - but only with a hen or two that isn’t broody at the time. He will also pop onto the ground and make tidbit noises if he is next to them outside. At first I thought it was cute because it looked like he was telling them to lay an egg - but without fail within a couple of days the girls getting attention will start the broody cluck. This is probably more of a rant than anything - but I would love to know if you have experienced this before :he

Silkies go broody at the drop of a hat, even without a rooster. I've had some do their best to try to hatch pine shavings.
I can do one better - pulled her off a giant poo the other day :lol:. I have had silkies for a long time, but they have never been this broody until he started his charming hatch act. I think I will make a dedicated breaking pen for them.

I can do one better - pulled her off a giant poo the other day :lol:. I have had silkies for a long time, but they have never been this broody until he started his charming hatch act. I think I will make a dedicated breaking pen for them.
Omg lol

Back
Top Bottom