Rooster Euthanasia

On the .22 where do I shoot? That's kind of what I'm leaning toward. Thank you so much for replying!
The back of the head, just behind his comb. He will flap and it'll look terrible, but that's what they all do.

I had 2 cockerels I had to cull. I caught them in a fishing net, put them on the ground, and shot them point blank with a .22 revolver. Contact shot, so no way to miss. The bullet will very likely exit the body, so do it on ground that can safely take the shot and not ricochet.

My biggest cockerel got his tail feathers yanked out by the pullets before I separated them now he only helps the other cockerel hold the hens down(He rarely mates them himself)My hen only flock wants nothing to do with either one. These are my first cockerels in over 20 years.I usually keep a hen only flock because good roosters are hard to come by!

Attachments

• 20230828_140329.jpg
    20230828_140329.jpg
    922.3 KB · Views: 8
For all that I was sorry to see our roo who turned mean go, the peace in the flock and for me and my kids as we tended chickens and collected eggs in safety was worth it! As some experienced chicken keepers have told me, regardless of the issue "Always solve for peace in the flock." I've found that to be excellent advice.

Just coming across this post while looking for options on euthanasia. So sorry you and your family felt unsafe. Sounds like you did it painlessly and hope your rooster is with the great bird in the sky now. Having studied a lot about roosters in the past year, I think if you get one in the future, it's worth considering what they are reacting to or trying to communicate. They can react to certain colors, patterns, quick movements (children can't help it) and make misguided attempts to protect their flock or charge their humans with very painful mating attempts. I have one that gets upset when I'm on my cell phone for example, another that bites hard when he wants attention. They don't have hands and most of their communication if vocal, body language and beak. In the end they are fierce and passionate animals, and just like you wouldn't keep a tiger around if you had small children, I think certain precautions should be taken with family and friends, even though they are small. They are also incredibly altruistic with their flock mates, unlike cats and dogs, have a sophisticated language, and extremely beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom