Rooster excluded. Should I be worried?

Greyflower72

In the Brooder
Oct 19, 2022
I have some new birds (most Roos) that I’ve introduced to my flock. Bought them straight run so get what you get

Anyway, there’s one roo that the others seem to be excluding when roosting at night. It’s a new thing. He was fine but this week he started roosting by himself away from the flock. Should I be worried? Is this normal behavior? I live in milder climates but we will have a few days in the 30’s this week and I’m worried about him getting too cold by himself. It’s an open coop concept with run and he’s out in the enclosed area roosting on the edge of the sand bath box.

Is it a bachelor pad, or are there hens around? How old is he, and how old are others?
I wouldn’t worry terribly about temps. I keep all my roosters in separate coops and runs, so they’re all sleeping alone at night, although mine are in enclosed little coops.

Is it a bachelor pad, or are there hens around? How old is he, and how old are others?
I wouldn’t worry terribly about temps. I keep all my roosters in separate coops and runs, so they’re all sleeping alone at night, although mine are in enclosed little coops.
There are 15 hens. I bought them because i wanted a few more hens of a different breed & I had people (family/friends) who wanted chickens but didn’t have the time to raise them from chicks. I won’t be keeping them much longer. I will be left with 2 roosters in about 2-3 weeks. They’re all from the same batch but this one was the free one the hatchery sent so not sure about the breed. Maybe splash australorp? He’s beautiful. I guess I was just worried about the drop in temperature this coming week. He’s the roo my son is keeping with 2 hens.

They’re all dual purpose birds about16-18 weeks old. I’ll attach a pic. He’s absolutely beautiful.

Attachments

• F7F7BDA9-550C-4A99-ADF7-A7280E41707E.jpeg
    F7F7BDA9-550C-4A99-ADF7-A7280E41707E.jpeg
    527.6 KB · Views: 7
It is normal for the roosters to start establishing a pecking order as they mature. The top roo may even start deciding who is allowed near the hens and who is not. Hopefully the fighting will be minimal for your boys, but expect some. Roosting away from the flock is a normal submission. He will be fine. His feather coat will keep him warm.

I would not worry about the temperature - he will do fine. Coats and feathers keep heat next to the body - they don't share with other bodies.

Do have a plan B, set up and ready to go. Being raised together has no influence on bird behavior. You need a dog crate and a fish net, so that you can separate fighting birds if you need to. Maybe they will not fight, but be ready, cause if you need it, you need it now!

Mrs K

Thanks for the advice everyone. I really appreciate it. I stopped worrying but set up my backup plan just to be sure… I went ahead and opened my tractor which has roosting bars in it. Him and a few others decided to switch so he’s not alone anymore. 😊 the 20-30 temps start Friday so good thing

Back
Top Bottom