Rooster Eye injury

Cap26651

Chirping
Jul 14, 2021
I have a little bantam rooster that my daughter accidentally let out of there pen today “didn’t know till hours later when returned home” and our big roosters chasing him. I’m not sure if he lost his eye or just a deep injury. There a little funk of stuff on eyelid , I’m assuming it’s part of his “corna” or whatever it’s called on outter eyeWhat can I put on it to ease his pain/ and help heal it. Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• 3C2BA810-763D-465B-AD1B-D21F50DF7FD6.jpeg
    3C2BA810-763D-465B-AD1B-D21F50DF7FD6.jpeg
    370.1 KB · Views: 55
  • EA5E890C-C15F-4FFC-94C3-F345BF27194E.jpeg
    EA5E890C-C15F-4FFC-94C3-F345BF27194E.jpeg
    401.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 7AABF055-D2B3-4351-8F9A-3A5A0A893341.jpeg
    7AABF055-D2B3-4351-8F9A-3A5A0A893341.jpeg
    251 KB · Views: 15
Ouch! The poor little guy! Once we had a leghorn who's eye looked a bit like your roosters. She never opened it again.... but I don't know what to do for your rooster... sorry.

Ouch! The poor little guy! Once we had a leghorn who's eye looked a bit like your roosters. She never opened it again.... but I don't know what to do for your rooster... sorry.
Thank you! Would it hurt to give him human eye drops for tonight till our local store opens to get chickens eye drops? Sorry for dumb question but sorta still new to owning chickens lol

human eye drops on hand if I can use them to temporarily flush/relief for him tonight till stores open. Or what can I use/if anything till then?

Attachments

• 404C0B9F-2484-430E-9CB8-5EAC5E090FA5.jpeg
    404C0B9F-2484-430E-9CB8-5EAC5E090FA5.jpeg
    385.2 KB · Views: 16
You can make your own sterile saline - 1 tsp salt to 2 cups water. Boil for 15 minutes to sterilize the solution. Let cool and use to flush/clean the eye. At home saline is best made fresh, but can be stored up to 24 hours in a sterilized jar.

If you have any original neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment you can put a small dab in the eye once it's been cleaned. Terramycin eye ointment would be good to use if you can get that.

It may be his nictitating eye lid that you are seeing, it may heal or not, hard to know. Keep the eye cleaned and the ointment in the eye to help keep it all moist.

He's been beat up a little, work on hydrating him. Sugar water or electrolytes for the first few hours, then plain water. Once he's hydrated, then offer him something to eat. Scrambled egg may be enticing. He's been kicked in the head/beak, so he's going to be sore for a few days. Wet mash can be given too.

I believe the dextran in those drops is a steroid, which will make any corneal injury worse. From the pictures, either that eye has been punctured or that little blip is conjunctival tissue from inside the lid. I had a bird that lost an eye to a raccoon attack, I got it sort of healed using an ophthalmic antibiotic—without steroid. It was a neomycin-polymixin-gramicidin combo and I had to get it from a veterinarian because it was specific for eyes. I say sort of because although the eye eventually shrunk and went away, since the eyelids still opened, and he still had a lacrimal duct that produced tears, he always had some clear discharge from the eye socket, and that invited recurrent infections. So I had to treat multiple infections, and I wish I’d had the vet put him under anesthesia and remove the eye and sew the lids closed properly, cuz he wouldn’t have had those recurrent infections, and he’d probably still be alive today. So my advice is to find a vet who can numb the tissue and evaluate it, and if the eye is ruptured, have it removed surgically if you can. Good luck, he’s awful cute. 🤞🏻

Actually I just looked it up, dextran isn’ta steroid so that’s good, and Wyorp Rock is totally right, Terramycin ophthalmic will work and can sometimes be found over the counter at pet stores (like for cats n dogs).

Tractor supply carries terramycin and I used it to successfully treat a similar eye injury on a young rooster after an encounter with our dominant rooster. Clean with saline and apply the terramycin. This was Cholo after the attack. He is now 100%
20211017_122804.jpg

Back
Top Bottom