Rooster favoring one leg

SparrowSong

Chirping
6 Years
May 20, 2013
We have a 3 1/2 month old Wellsummer rooster that is favoring one leg. I've looked at his feet/legs and can't find any injury, thorn, or anything else. He is the only rooster we have.

Is there something more I should look for? Anything I can do?

It's possible that he just strained or sprained the muscle somehow, such as landing badly after jumping down from a roost. You don't always notice these sort of injuries just from an examination.

I would consider isolating him from the other birds and provide supportive treatment, including vitamins and probiotics. If it's a leg injury, it should eventually heal.

One other possible reason is Marek's Disease. This often presents itself in young birds, beginning with the paralysis of a leg or wing and slowly imobilizing the whole bird, resulting in death. Here is a link with information on Marek's, if you want to read about it: The Great Big Giant Marek's Disease FAQ.

I'd treat this as if it is a sprain or strain, for now. Just keep in mind that Marek's could be the problem.

Last edited:
Thanks for your timely reply! I bought him from a hatchery and paid extra for a Marek's vaccination, so I doubt it's that. I just didn't know if there was something obvious I might be missing. We'll keep a close eye on him and give him the extra care you mentioned.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom