Rooster feathers to clip into your hair?!

The ones in the picture and that fly tiers use are the neck and saddle hackle feathers. They skin the bird and dry the skin with the feathers intact.

Quote:
ep.gif
Oooh, OK. I thought they were just using the long tail feathers, so I couldn't figure out why they had to be killed. That explains it. Ugh.

The article said they were killing 1,500 birds a week. I sure hope they are also being used for food. Surely they are; pet food at least if not people food.

A quote from the article.

The neck would have normally cost $29.95, but the shop sold it for $360.

I'd prefer the meat be used too, but how much do you get for old rooster per pound.

Personally I like old rooster. I make great broth with it and I like the flavor if it is cooked properly. But I'd suspect the ones that are specially bred for the feathers are not great meat birds.

My daughter has them in her hair - they are very popular and the guy who has bred these roosters to have really long tail, neck and saddle feathers can not keep up with demand.

Its the way they pluck them, high speed plucking. saw same thing on the new ,where they were plucking geese for pillows, and coats, overseas, plucking them at high speed ripping the skin off some, these roosters would be fine if plucked with care.

Like just pulling one hair out at a time, no harm but grag a hand full and pull it out , skin comes with it.

Back
Top Bottom