Rooster fertilization question

Jul 26, 2022
West Virginia
So I have a mixed flock of ages of a little over a year , and some of my flock 5 months old. And I have 3 roosters that are 5 months old, one is a welsummer, one is a buff Brahma, and the last one is a Easter egger. I saw my welsummer rooster mounting on one of my hens. So will the hen have fertile eggs or not?
I am supper new to the whole fertilization process btw.
Any extra info about chicken fertilization would be wonderful because I really want to incubate eggs but don’t know where to start. And also…. Do chickens have a specific time/season they breed?

So I have a mixed flock of ages of a little over a year , and some of my flock 5 months old. And I have 3 roosters that are 5 months old, one is a welsummer, one is a buff Brahma, and the last one is a Easter egger. I saw my welsummer rooster mounting on one of my hens. So will the hen have fertile eggs or not?
I am supper new to the whole fertilization process btw.
Any extra info about chicken fertilization would be wonderful because I really want to incubate eggs but don’t know where to start. And also…. Do chickens have a specific time/season they breed?
A male will mount all year around, except maybe when he's molting.
A good male will not mount a bird that is not actively laying.

Incubation is a sure way to tell if an egg is fertile.
But if you get in the habit of looking at the yolks when you break eggs to eat you usually can see if an egg is fertile or not.
1664103279752.png

First thing about using an incubator is learn how to test/calibrate the thermometers.

They definitely breed more in the spring, and less in the winter. Just check as you cook and when you start seeing the bullseyes you should be good.

Just in case this is your question in the back of your mind. Some people worry about eating fertilized eggs. There is no taste difference or cooking difference they are perfectly fine to eat. And as you will shortly find, it can be tricky until you get some experience, to even tell if they are or not.

Even fertilized eggs are inert at laying time. They will not develop into chicks if left on the counter, and definitely not in the fridge. They won't even develop a little bit. They are like seeds, waiting. A hen will lay an egg and leave. The next day she will lay another, and her flock mates, will lay there too. If the broody Gods are right, the light is right the time is right and the size of the clutch suits her. She will settle down on the clutch and go broody.

After the eggs have been warmed near 100 degrees for 24 hours, THEN the egg begins to grow. After a week, you can candle the light colored eggs and 'see' something going on.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom