Rooster fight! HELP!!

My my my... clean and antibiotic ointment? can you put antibiotic ointment on chickens? I thought I read somewhere that you could... As for the maggots... maggots only eat dead skin/meat... so they probably really did a favor by cleaning up disease... glad they are off though... is the other wound just like this?

105156_img_20110829_225850.jpg

105156_img_20110829_225833.jpg

Let me know if you need anymore pictures.

Wounds appear too localized to be from fighting. Double check critter getting into pen. Wounds on back and around head septic. I suggest flushing wounds as suggested by NovaAman with saline solution thoroughly and keep bird warm and dry afterwards. If he does not perk up by tomorrow, the euthanizing may prove wise.

How do you go about euthanizing them, I really don't think I could cut his head off and that the only way i've ever heard...? But thank you very much for the advice.

Quote:
Rap him soundly behind base of head with stick or dowel that is 18 to 24 inched long and about 1.5 inches thick. If right handed, hold him with left so head is down in front of you. Better to hit too hard than not hard enough. It is not a pleasant thing do.

Going with what the others have said, can you give a description of the coop/run/area where you keep them. I've read in this forum about other people's experiences with racoons getting their hands through wire openings that weren't small enough and pretty much munch on chickens. I'm pretty you'll get more suggestions on how to make your enclosure even safer for your chickens if this was indeed an attack from a predator
smile.png

Last edited:
The coop is a cedar pre-fab 2 story with run. 4x4 house with a 9x4 run. The wire is the thick weld wire, not chicken wire and the gate on the bottom and top both have 2 slide latches.... I just did a double check and there is no place where anything could have entered. I'm not sure what would have caused them to fight this bad. I had 2 silkie roosters fight before but was able to split them up....

Sorry to hear about your hen....
sad.png
I am going to try my best to save him. I really don't have the heart to kill him....he is such a sweet roo. I am going to do everything I can for the next day and then see if there is any improvement. I am praying with my fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom