rooster fight, need help with injured rooster

stretchy4u2

Chirping
Jul 10, 2015
Red Bluff, CA
my favorite bantam rooster got into a fight with another rooster and he can't seem to see out of his eye. but he lifts his head when we call him.he is not eating really well. drinks alot of water. I am keeping him in side (actually he sleeps inside every night) and warm. It happened 4 days ago. how long till i should see an improvement
IMG_20200119_142536.jpg
IMG_20200119_142816.jpg
IMG_20200119_142816.jpg
IMG_20200119_142536.jpg
IMG_20200119_142706.jpg
IMG_20200119_142816.jpg

Last edited:
If it's happened four days ago and you haven't seen an improvement yet, you might not see any improvement. It is a good sign that he's drinking water, and since he's well-hydrated, I'll not recommend electrolytes. Maybe rooster-booster or a similar supplement, just to help, but I doubt it'll do too much.

Have you tried cleaning him off and dabbing antibiotic ointment on the wounds? Preventing infection can do a lot for him, long-term, and I can't tell from your pictures if you have.

Try offering treats like boiled cracked corn and scrambled eggs to tempt him to eat. Otherwise, sounds like you're doing everything you can. I wish you the best of luck.

If it's happened four days ago and you haven't seen an improvement yet, you might not see any improvement. It is a good sign that he's drinking water, and since he's well-hydrated, I'll not recommend electrolytes. Maybe rooster-booster or a similar supplement, just to help, but I doubt it'll do too much.

Have you tried cleaning him off and dabbing antibiotic ointment on the wounds? Preventing infection can do a lot for him, long-term, and I can't tell from your pictures if you have.

Try offering treats like boiled cracked corn and scrambled eggs to tempt him to eat. Otherwise, sounds like you're doing everything you can. I wish you the best of luck.
thank you for taking the time to read and respond so quickly. what is rooster-booster and where can i buy it?

my favorite bantam rooster got into a fight with another rooster and he can't seem to see out of his eye. but he lifts his head when we call him.he is not eating really well. drinks alot of water. I am keeping him in side (actually he sleeps inside every night) and warm. It happened 4 days ago. how long till i should see an improvementView attachment 2006536View attachment 2006538View attachment 2006538View attachment 2006536View attachment 2006537View attachment 2006538
I'm sorry about your rooster.
Can you post some clearer photos, it's really hard to tell anything.

He's drinking a lot of water? Can he find the water on his own and drink or are you holding that up for him?
Is he pooping a little?
IF he's finding the water on his own, then you may want to provide him with some wet soupy feed, see if he will eat that on his own too. I see a water dish, what are you putting feed in - sounds a little odd, but that may be important depending on what he can see - shiny metal may be easier to see/find than loose feed on the floor.

Are his wounds healing - any bad odors?

Owing to the nature of the wounds it looks like he got beat down and could not get away from attacker. Extremely localized damage is what I look for when a combatant is in trouble well before foe gets tired. Be looking at a possible health issue that may have been at play before fight started.

Owing to the nature of the wounds it looks like he got beat down and could not get away from attacker. Extremely localized damage is what I look for when a combatant is in trouble well before foe gets tired. Be looking at a possible health issue that may have been at play before fight started.
Looks like age could be part of this - unless mistaken, rooster is around 7 years old.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/bantam-rooster-problems.1284238/#post-20752185

Back
Top Bottom