Rooster fighting

Should I seperate them or let them solve it for themselves
It sounds like you are looking for a guarantee and you don't get guarantees in this stuff. I understand but unfortunately it doesn't work that way.

If you leave them together different outcomes are possible. They could fight to the death. One of them just won't quit. That could be the loser as well as the winner. They just cannot accept another competitor.

They may reach an accommodation on how to work together to take care of the flock. This actually happens a lot and can work different ways. The more room you have the better your chances for a good outcome. One time I had two that hung together as best buddies. Some hens hung around but other hens formed a sub-flock and mostly hung by themselves. All the eggs were fertilized and both boys contributed to that. This may not be the most frequent accommodation but with living animals you don't get guarantees.

If you have enough room a more common outcome is that each boy establishes his own territory and attracts his own harem. If these territories are separated by line of sight they pretty much leave each other alone, though the girls may not be very loyal to their rooster and either boy can fertilize the eggs.

Sometimes the loser of the fight may hang around the periphery of the flock. That's a lonely life.

It may not just be one fight either. There can be new fights as time goes by. Often these are just skirmishes to reestablish dominance but you never know when one can get serious.

Another danger is that sometimes one gets injured, they are trying to hurt each other after all. If one gets injured, what would normally be a skirmish and over becomes serious as the uninjured one then can seriously try to kill the wounded one.

I cannot tell you what will happen with yours, but if you separate them instead of let them finish they will start fighting when you out them back together. If you are going to separate them plan on two coops and runs where they will forever stay apart. Put some girls with each of them for two flocks.

Once something is out over the internet it can never be recalled. At some point that 10 to 1 ratio was taken out of context. It's 12 to 1 or 15 to 1 for bantams, by the way. Those ratios are roughly what hatcheries use to assure full fertility since their interest is about fertile eggs. Those ratios have nothing to do with roosters fighting or hens being over-mated. Yet they are constantly quoted as a law of nature. Don't worry about maintaining a ratio.

It sounds like you are looking for a guarantee and you don't get guarantees in this stuff. I understand but unfortunately it doesn't work that way.

If you leave them together different outcomes are possible. They could fight to the death. One of them just won't quit. That could be the loser as well as the winner. They just cannot accept another competitor.

They may reach an accommodation on how to work together to take care of the flock. This actually happens a lot and can work different ways. The more room you have the better your chances for a good outcome. One time I had two that hung together as best buddies. Some hens hung around but other hens formed a sub-flock and mostly hung by themselves. All the eggs were fertilized and both boys contributed to that. This may not be the most frequent accommodation but with living animals you don't get guarantees.

If you have enough room a more common outcome is that each boy establishes his own territory and attracts his own harem. If these territories are separated by line of sight they pretty much leave each other alone, though the girls may not be very loyal to their rooster and either boy can fertilize the eggs.

Sometimes the loser of the fight may hang around the periphery of the flock. That's a lonely life.

It may not just be one fight either. There can be new fights as time goes by. Often these are just skirmishes to reestablish dominance but you never know when one can get serious.

Another danger is that sometimes one gets injured, they are trying to hurt each other after all. If one gets injured, what would normally be a skirmish and over becomes serious as the uninjured one then can seriously try to kill the wounded one.

I cannot tell you what will happen with yours, but if you separate them instead of let them finish they will start fighting when you out them back together. If you are going to separate them plan on two coops and runs where they will forever stay apart. Put some girls with each of them for two flocks.

Once something is out over the internet it can never be recalled. At some point that 10 to 1 ratio was taken out of context. It's 12 to 1 or 15 to 1 for bantams, by the way. Those ratios are roughly what hatcheries use to assure full fertility since their interest is about fertile eggs. Those ratios have nothing to do with roosters fighting or hens being over-mated. Yet they are constantly quoted as a law of nature. Don't worry about maintaining a ratio.
I think they decided to be friends or tolerate each other I’ve checked in them several times today and they have been standing around with each other an the hen and there’s been no fighting with each other they still have caution to one another but they seem to have made truths

Back
Top Bottom