Rooster flock?

Esme2345

Chirping
Jun 16, 2020
Hi everyone I have recently hatched 3 chicks they’re now 10 weeks old and I’ve ended up with 3 roosters! I can’t keep them all with my all girls flock so do you think I could make them they’re own pen? Or will I have to find them homes? Thank you

How much land do you have? If you have some acres, you could easily do that.

Not possible on a 1/8 acre suburban lot.

What are the rules and regs in your area regarding roosters and crowing?

We have 12 acres so we are quite isolated from other houses the only thing is my current flock free range every day so the boys might get a glimpse of them, I might have to keep them in completely different fields

Make sure you have the room.
You need them out of sight of the girls.
I accidentally made myself a two cockerel bachelor group a few years ago.
They took one glance at a hen and started a full blown battle there and then.

It can work, if you have the space.
It's really going to depend on the individual birds. I've kept cockerel pens within the free range hens area and they've been fine. Too busy talking to the hens along the fence line to squabble I guess. I also had a cockerel group well out of sight of them that could't get along until certain members were thinned out.

The 3 cockerels may get along just fine, and they may not no matter where you put them. You're just going to have to try and see what happens. Have a backup plan if things go south.

Probably better not to risk it, unless you have the hens and the space, and the pens for all of them.
The two that fought were brothers, never been apart. I did have three brothers with their three sisters successfully, for a good while. That ended when another cockerel escaped and fought one of the brothers. They all turned on eachother.
Completely agree about it depending on each individual, but it's probably better, if possible, to keep them well out of the way.

It's possible, but it's probably good to have a backup pen or something.
These troublesome chickens.

Back
Top Bottom