Rooster Flocks!

Pics
Okay but isn't it a waste of money on food and care? And a waste of space? Business wise..

If you had an egg laying business or something like that I might say yes but lots of people just have chickens for pets so in that case, no. Although even if you had a business, roosters can be excellent protectors and very valuable. I've read stories where the roosters all teamed up and herded the girls to safety and also formed a wall, something that couldn't be done with one rooster. So I guess it depends on why you have chickens and your philosophies on pets etc. Cause most dogs and cats don't do any work either and eat up feed so why is a rooster different? IF you have it for that purpose (pets). Cause I know some people don't have pet dogs and cats either and think every animal should have a job, which is fine, but I guess it just depends on your outlook. Sorry for the novel haha

Also I just realized, even if people maybe make the cats and dogs work or don't have them, some also have parrots, etc. And they're really the same as a rooster, eat a lot and don't contribute anything, except roosters are a bit bigger

If you had an egg laying business or something like that I might say yes but lots of people just have chickens for pets so in that case, no. Although even if you had a business, roosters can be excellent protectors and very valuable. I've read stories where the roosters all teamed up and herded the girls to safety and also formed a wall, something that couldn't be done with one rooster. So I guess it depends on why you have chickens and your philosophies on pets etc. Cause most dogs and cats don't do any work either and eat up feed so why is a rooster different? IF you have it for that purpose (pets). Cause I know some people don't have pet dogs and cats either and think every animal should have a job, which is fine, but I guess it just depends on your outlook. Sorry for the novel haha

Also I just realized, even if people maybe make the cats and dogs work or don't have them, some also have parrots, etc. And they're really the same as a rooster, eat a lot and don't contribute anything, except roosters are a bit bigger
:goodpost:

Hi, I am new to this thread. I have 2 adult roosters with an established flock of 40 females. I have introduced a young roo at 16 weeks old. After a progressive intro, the two adults roosters were just running after the young roo who was showing NO sign of agression. It has been a month now and this is still going on. The young roo is now sleeping in the coop at night but he is being chased and hides out during the daytime.
The young roo has no female of his own and is chasing an adult female on occasion which doesn't endeare him to the other roosters.
He is now 20 weeks old, can I still hope he will be accepted?
Thanks. This is my frist time around with roosters.

Okay but isn't it a waste of money on food and care? And a waste of space? Business wise..
If all you want is cooped birds and eggs, then yes, no point in a rooster. Some of us raise birds for meat also, and its foolish to eat a hen that will give you years of eggs. I prefer raising my food animals myself. I want to know what they ate, were raised and cared for humanely. When their "bad day" comes, I do not send them out, our family processes right here at home. That's the least I can do for an animal that's feeding our family, love and respect to the end. And although we eat them, they are all treated like pets and have names. I hatch several bird species annually, so we need boys. Both my current breeding roosters are human social and very much spoiled pets.

Hi, I am new to this thread. I have 2 adult roosters with an established flock of 40 females. I have introduced a young roo at 16 weeks old. After a progressive intro, the two adults roosters were just running after the young roo who was showing NO sign of agression. It has been a month now and this is still going on. The young roo is now sleeping in the coop at night but he is being chased and hides out during the daytime.
The young roo has no female of his own and is chasing an adult female on occasion which doesn't endeare him to the other roosters.
He is now 20 weeks old, can I still hope he will be accepted?
Thanks. This is my frist time around with roosters.
If you don't change the pecking order its not likely it will get better. Removing the 2 adult roos, then reintroducing later may break the cycle.

If all you want is cooped birds and eggs, then yes, no point in a rooster. Some of us raise birds for meat also, and its foolish to eat a hen that will give you years of eggs. I prefer raising my food animals myself. I want to know what they ate, were raised and cared for humanely. When their "bad day" comes, I do not send them out, our family processes right here at home. That's the least I can do for an animal that's feeding our family, love and respect to the end. And although we eat them, they are all treated like pets and have names. I hatch several bird species annually, so we need boys. Both my current breeding roosters are human social and very much spoiled pets.
Agreed. You also need a rooster if you want to hatch your own eggs.

Omg you guys answered my prayers... I was told, no way can i keep 2 roos together, let alone more.. Ive been dreaming of a roo flock... And now i can.. Thank you thank you.. Ill keep yall updated on my successes and failures..

As like some, they are my babies, and it seems i bond with the roos more. And they follow me everywhere...glad to know i wont have to get rid of them..

So on that note, any advice would be welcome and appreciated concerning roo flocks..

Thank you

Here's a question... Can one keep a flock of ONLY roosters? No hens around at all? I have 3 roos less than 6 months old and they get along great (So far...) I live in the city so I cant keep them; and then a gentleman offered to take all three, but they would be his only 3 chickens.

I worry that my 3 boys will become aggressive if they remain together, but what if they didn't have any ladies to fight over? Can there be a rooster monastery?
"Rooster Monastery" :lau :lau:lau Yeah cause we all know they are craving the life of total silence, prayers and chanting! :lau:lau Should not have been drinkin sweet tea when I read your post..had a cleanup in aisle 12 (latops) LMBBO

Understanding a roosters life that is the first goal. They have few purposes. Breed, protect, eat, poop, sleep and repeat. A good rooster also chooses nest boxes, tells his hens where to lay. He will also wait outside while she is laying. I've had a rooster sit on eggs to allow his hen to go eat.

Back
Top Bottom