Rooster Flocks!

Pics
I am not sure if I am posting this correctly or even in the right place so please forgive me if I have it all wrong.
So what had happened was.......I went to Ace Hardware on mothers day to pick up a plumbing part for my husband and came with 3 little "Meep meeps" what we call the baby chickens because they sound like little meep noises and we are clueless. one died after day 2 and the other two have turned out to be roosters. I cried my heart out at the first one being a rooster and hoped and hoped that the other one would be a hen because I thought I would have to get rid of them. This morning we had a little crow off confirming my awaiting second heartache.
Now I read that I can keep them even though they are both roosters maybe.... They do not like to be separated at all, they will squawk if one of them is out of the pen area or being held and the other isn't. They cuddle up under each other and sit/lay down together all the time too but they also do the bump chest thing and goose each other as well as try to jump on top of each other. Their neck feathers stand up and one of them tends to peck on the top of the head but not hard or too hard from what I can tell. One of them always runs off, the other chases they change positions on this and then they get sidetracked.
We were thinking we needed to get some hens and couldn't keep them both but we would be happiest if we could just keep them both and not get any hens at this point as we didn't get them for eggs. I didn't even know there were so many different kinds of chickens. The ones we have are silkies although I do not know if they are full silkie or have been breed with another breed or how to tell that.
I am painting their chicken coop now and making a more permanent area for them. I would appreciate any information I can get on what I need to do or make sure I have as I set it up for them as well as what I need to look for to know if they will not be ok to stay together. We did make them a little portable house that they go into in the evening and that comes in the house at night and we take them back out in the morning. Also do Roosters take dust baths or just hens?

Usually roosters that grow up together get along better, but not always. Sometimes having only 2 roosters can cause them to fight too much, so if they start drawing blood you might want to get a third silkie that's the same age. Roosters do dust bathe, Iv'e seen mine do it lots of times.

I have a rooster question im asking it here since you guys have alot of experience in roosters of all kinds. Okay here it is, can a faverolles be a head rooster of a mixed flock or will the girls not be interested because he's a little different? Technically he's still a rooster right, just soft with an extra toe. I figured if anyone knows it would be somebody with a bunch of roosters. I've got "normal" roosters too but this little faverolles is showing me good things but I don't want to put him in there and have the ladies just laugh at him...chicken drama is dramatic. :)

Okay here it is, can a faverolles be a head rooster of a mixed flock or will the girls not be interested because he's a little different?
Breed doesn't matter. Individual temperament is the determining factor.

I've had Faverolles for 10 years and have seen plenty of the good, bad and ugly along the way.

Awesome! I'm kind of pimping him out to an old friend in a few months. Her rooster died and she's in love with my faverolles so I said she could borrow him for a few weeks when he's of age.I didn't know if the girls not being like him would make a hoot or not.I'm loving his behavior so far, if I didn't I would never consider letting him near this lady or her ladies. Oh she's going to be so happy!:)

Last edited:
Pricing is a little different in my country, and customers are not that common, i tried buying chicks and selling them and even growing them a little bit first, but business was slow so i am working on raising my own chicken, collecting their eggs and hatching their chicks, that way my profits are much much higher.

Backyard mix chicks go for a lot less here, maybe $1-2 each. The ones I buy and grow out are purebreds and bantams generally cannot be purchased sexed, hence they sell for a lot more and with a lot of demand. I could sell my own chicks from my own eggs but the demand is usually lower though I get the same monetary profit per chick, assuming I can sell them all.

Backyard mix chicks go for a lot less here, maybe $1-2 each. The ones I buy and grow out are purebreds and bantams generally cannot be purchased sexed, hence they sell for a lot more and with a lot of demand. I could sell my own chicks from my own eggs but the demand is usually lower though I get the same monetary profit per chick, assuming I can sell them all.

I only raise/sell purebred chicken/chicks as well, i have bantams, silkies, polish and a couple of bard rock, i also have pigeons and quails, bobwhites and coturnix. The one week old polish chicks here go for 10$ each and that's how i plan to make money.

I have two silkie roos that have started to turn on each other, and are being aggressive with the silkie pullets. There are 7 total - 2 roosters and 5 pullets. All are 4 1/2 months old and have grown up together.

I have a much larger coop for another flock that is a mix, but is mostly silkies. I put the 5 young pullets in there yesterday, keeping them separated from the regulars using chicken wire, and tried the two roosters alone in the smaller coop area. They went at each other.

Any suggestions? I do have two other roosters, one in each of my larger coops, but they are thriving and happy and I don't want to unsettle them.

Usually roosters that grow up together get along better, but not always. Sometimes having only 2 roosters can cause them to fight too much, so if they start drawing blood you might want to get a third silkie that's the same age. Roosters do dust bathe, I've seen mine do it lots of times.
Thank you! If it happens that I need to get a third one will it need to be a rooster also? I feel like two roosters and one hen would be bad news for the hen but with my luck so far in this chicken adventure if I go in asking for a rooster I will get a hen lol

Oh, I see. Yes, Now that you mention it, I remember reading somewhere about that distinction. I think they actually must be Easter Eggers, since they are so varied in all their colors. When I bought them, I remember the sign saying that they were Americanas or Ameraucanas, but I can't remember which spelling it was. Here is what they look like: Two are orange with black highlights. Two are black and white, although one is more black and the other is more white. The fifth is gray with orange highlights and has a mustache. Sounds like EEs, right?

Oh, I see. Yes, Now that you mention it, I remember reading somewhere about that distinction. I think they actually must be Easter Eggers, since they are so varied in all their colors. When I bought them, I remember the sign saying that they were Americanas or Ameraucanas, but I can't remember which spelling it was. Here is what they look like: Two are orange with black highlights. Two are black and white, although one is more black and the other is more white. The fifth is gray with orange highlights and has a mustache. Sounds like EEs, right?

Yes, definitely EE. Ameraucana only come in 8 colors and all solid. They also only lay blue eggs, not green.

http://ameraucanabreedersclub.org/standard.html

Unfortunately most hatcheries and feed stores mislabel EEs as ameraucana or auracana. I guess maybe they think it sells better? I don't know.

Meyer Hatchery is one of the only ones I know that sells Easter Eggers as Easter Eggers and Ameraucana as Ameraucana.

https://www.meyerhatchery.com/productinfo.a5w?prodID=AMAS

Back
Top Bottom