1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

rooster flogging

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ms molly, Mar 13, 2009.

1. ms molly

ms molly New Egg

Mar 13, 2009
    NE Alabama
    DH and I went out of town and had son to care for chickens. 2 YO grandaughter was feeding chickens when one of the roos flogged her. Then the same roo went after her dad! He has never done anything like that. Is it normal for roos to get mean as they get older? Our chickens are all 11 months old.

2. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Hormones are kicking in; it's almost Spring. He's also growing into being a rooster and is protecting his flock. It's not a good idea to have a very small child in the run with a roo at all unless you're RIGHT THERE within inches of the child. If the rooster's not used to the little girl or your son, he may not be thinking of them as above him on the pecking order rank. Go to Rooster-Red's behavior modification page; it has some GREAT information on it.

3. soonerdog

soonerdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Be extra careful when small children are going to be around any rooster!
    A rooster flogged me in the face at four years of age. I'm lucky that the rooster's spurs missed my eyes!!! BE CAREFUL

4. tabatha_westcott

tabatha_westcott Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    Our roo was the same age when he started to flog my two boys (1 & 5). Before that he was fine with them. It was like it started over night. Here is my son in his "roo gear" lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

is that a delaware? Our delaware is a real jerk. My 6 year old son caught him by the tail tonight..... he was super lucky that the roo didn't turn around and get him. My son was in some trouble, but not as much as the roo would have been had he acted up.

6. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Lock the rooster up when the Granddaughter is going to feed the chickens, don't take a chance on the child being injured.

7. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    Roosters taste like chicken

8. Quella

Quella Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    [​IMG]:lau

9. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Quote:OMG that is the cutest thing I have ever seen!!!!

10. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Quote:It happens, but I wouldn't say it's normal for a roo to attack humans. Many roos never do. But, little kids, being so much smaller, might be seen as rival roos by a rooster. They aren't that much bigger than the roos. Chickens aren't very bright creatures, they are all instinct and very little brain.

I would advise one to never leave a small child out with roosters around, even one that's never been a problem before. It's just not worth the risk. Not even with "rooster gear" which is cute and protects his scull and eyes, and most of his body, but would not prevent injury to his hands or lower part of his face.

I'd eat offending roos. I eat the extra ones, anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by