Rooster Getting Close to the Edge- Just a Rant!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mak, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    I mean, really, he's not a bad boy, compared to what I've read and heard from other people. Most of the time, he's fine. Yeah, he watches me when I'm out there, but he basically goes on about his business. If I have to pick up one of the hens for some reason, I do have to watch, because she'll squawk and he'll come running, ready to rescue her. Ok, I can handle that. He's doing what he should- defending his hens. And he's very good with them as far as mating goes. Not rough, and if the hen he's trying for is not interested, he doesn't grab or force. He walks away. So, yeah, pretty decent for a rooster, right?

Except- there are days. He's extra hormonal or something! When he's like that, I can't look at him or any of the hens sideways or he's coming at me, neck feathers ruffled, wings flapping, all that. He's only nicked me once and didn't draw blood or anything. I can usually give him a swift kick or two, or use my "rooster stick" to knock him back a couple times and he takes off in the other direction.

I gotta admit, I'm getting a tad tired of not knowing whether I will be greeted with the Good Monty or his Evil Twin when I go out there. He may be dinner before long, just so I don't have to deal with it.

Yeah, I know. He's a rooster. I knew this was coming. Just venting....

2. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    roos can be a chalange some times. A lot of people dont even keep roos. I have one who is a good boy he has never chalanged me or come closer than about 5 feet. The only thing he does is crow when I am around sometimes.

3. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Except when they were first coming into their hormones I dont have a problem with my roosters. When they were about 17 weeks old they tried me a couple of times they got a smack and picked up and walked around under my arm for awhile.They didnt like that now they stay clear of us. Now the other night my DD was out rubbing bag balm on combs and wattles, she was holding one of the girls who was squaking and the smaller rooster came up and starting pecking at her arm. Her dad had to hold him while she did the girls. She said I couldnt get mad at him he was just protecting his girls and when it came his turn he fell asleep on her lap.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If he is young and if you do not have small children, give him some time. Keep reinforcing the fact that you are dominant and hopefully once his hormones level off his personality will mellow. If not it's rooster and dumpling time.[​IMG]

5. Yazzo

Yazzo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    Personally, I love roosters, but I know how infuriating they can be sometimes. It can be pretty tempting to kick them, throw rocks, etc, but hurting them is almost always counter-productive. How you want to act with him is up to you of course, but if it was me, I wouldn't let him peck me even once, or threaten me, because that can lead to more aggressive behavior. I wrote a long page about the subject that you might want to check out: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=63850-the-definite-guide-to-roosters. It used to be a thread, but got closed down due to some very aggressive people.
    Anyways, I hope you find it useful, and good luck with the rooster! I hope you don't give up with him and eat him, because roosters, for me at least, have gone from annoying to some of the most interesting, entertaining, and nice creatures I've ever had. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  6. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    Yeah, I know, Yazzo. And I'm not planning on doing anything soon. It was just one of those days. I didn't have a lot of time, wanted to just get out there, do what I needed to do and be done. Of course, that was the day Monty decided to be a pain. Today, he took raisins from my hand. Twenty minutes later, he came at me with his neck feathers ruffled, but backed down and ran off immediately. He is still a bit young- just about 6 months now. And he was a slow matruring boy. Never showed any interest at all in the hens till just a month ago or so. Most of them were laying for about a month or six weeks before he even tried mating any of them. I think he just needs time and to understand he can't do that stuff with me.

As far as eating him, well, eventually, that's gonna happen with all of them. As long as I get eggs from the hens, they are good. Don't know how or when I'll decide with Monty, but eventually.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by