Rooster getting more tude

I have a roo that is outside and full sized, my chickens have free run of the back part of the yard w/ the garden and fruit trees, so I walk amongst them daily and dig and garden w/ them, so can not have an aggressive roo. My boy Oreo was hand raised also and was a great boy but went through a spell at about 2 years old when he started attacking me, the only thing that saved his life was I had not bought my pellet gun yet (I have one now) I tried the hitting him that just instigated more aggressive behavior (I thought I killed him once he was very lethargic for a couple of days) anyway out of despiration one day he came at me and I had the water hose I turned it to "jet" setting and "water boarded" him I was aiming for the head actually trying to drown him I was so angry, that whole day anytime he got w/i hose range or even looked at me I sprayed w/ the jet setting as close to the head as I could and continued spraying until he was out of hose range. He has never attacked me again.

Thank you everyone. I will try working with him and if that dosnt work , Uncle dave said he would take him , thats a last resort as uncle dave will simply make a chicken soup with him .

How high is his cage? If his cage is at your chest or higher....lower it to almost ground or knee level. This puts you and your son higher than him..and at a more imposing angle. You may want to put the roo in his own little cage fo awhile till his attitude adjusts.... By nature he is suppose to protect his girls. He sees you as one of his group and your son as a rival. If you separate him and have your son feed him...water him...hold him...even if you have to take roo out first and wrap him in a towel for him so he can walk around or sit and play video games with him...lol. Might help

Back
Top Bottom