Rooster goes in when hen lays eggs?

warmheart

Songster
7 Years
Sep 30, 2012
Norton, MA
We've got a sweet Golden Comet (red sex-link) hen who is maybe 6 months, and is laying. The other 3 are pullets (a Barred Rock, an Easter Egger, and a Barnevelder). We got the 4 girls a rooster (gentle, quiet Old English Game bantam mixed with some larger breed) who is likely 3 years old. His name's King Alfred. ;)

When Prudence goes in to lay her egg, Alfie goes into the coop and lays down, his breast on the floor, right next to her. He remains by her side until she's done laying. He does this each time she lays, every day. Has anyone else seen a rooster keep hens company when they lay eggs?

Today he led the way to the coop, her following. Wonder how she told him she was about to lay?

That is the coolest thing I ever heard! I had no idea.

I have an opposite situation. I have a barred rock rooster, lovely gentleman, gentle with the girls (when he can get their attention) he is around 7 months and has no clear following of his own. But he goes into the house when there is a hen there. He hangs around, makes unique sounds as he pecks about and busies himself on the floor.

When she is finished, he follows her outside. He always clucks them over (outside) when he finds something wonderful to eat, he keeps a courteous distance, he gets between hens and our dogs, between hens and the geese, he is a general all around "nice guy" but the hens (even the ones raised with him) seem completely uninterested. Nice guys finish last? It is too early to see the result of his activity, we are hoping to in the spring, but for now, he seems quite content roosting alone (unlike an older more seasoned Buff Orp and a younger and really stupid Buff Orp) foraging alone, and mostly, except on his attendance close to the laying boxes for a few hours a day, hanging out alone most of the time.

That is the coolest thing I ever heard! I had no idea.

I have an opposite situation. I have a barred rock rooster, lovely gentleman, gentle with the girls (when he can get their attention) he is around 7 months and has no clear following of his own. But he goes into the house when there is a hen there. He hangs around, makes unique sounds as he pecks about and busies himself on the floor.

When she is finished, he follows her outside. He always clucks them over (outside) when he finds something wonderful to eat, he keeps a courteous distance, he gets between hens and our dogs, between hens and the geese, he is a general all around "nice guy" but the hens (even the ones raised with him) seem completely uninterested. Nice guys finish last? It is too early to see the result of his activity, we are hoping to in the spring, but for now, he seems quite content roosting alone (unlike an older more seasoned Buff Orp and a younger and really stupid Buff Orp) foraging alone, and mostly, except on his attendance close to the laying boxes for a few hours a day, hanging out alone most of the time.

Your barred rock roosters sounds lovely! Many young roosters are punks. Most hens will eventually come around and love him. Roosters just get better with age.. Like men ;)

Thanks for the replies. I'd never heard of this before. I love hearing stories of others' roosters taking good care of their hens. How loving and responsible is that! GardenSimply, I am betting that as your roo ages, he'll mature into a hunk the girls take more seriously. ;)

Awww! Thanks you guys! :) I just started being involved on this forum this morning.... loving reading from folks who love their birds as much as I do! My husband wanted to put him in a pot when we found out he was a he. But we have thirty birds, and only one Buff Orpington rooster who is aging and hangs out with the "original four" hens almost exclusively; but my grandmother had a barred rock rooster and he was fabulously beautiful. Zeb is turning into my memory of hers and he has stolen my heart, even if none of the hens just yet. I am certain you are all right... like men. :)

Roosters just get better with age.. Like men
wink.png
And better trained.
wink.png
Bwahahahahaha!

i have 5 hens and 3 Roos who never leave each others' side. They were all raised together. They are 4-1/2 months old. I was wondering if I should continue to house them all in the hen house at night and close out the Roos to the run? Or are they all suppose to sleep in the h. house? Just don't want to delay the laying (if it ever starts :< ) I also love the post about the Rooster taking the hen up. So sweet.

Back
Top Bottom