Rooster gone crazy with power!!!

jak2002003

Crowing
13 Years
Oct 24, 2009
Thailand
Please help!!! I have a flock of about 40 chickens.... there are roosters, hens, and chicks of all sizes. Totally free range.

Sometimes a rooster will have a fight with another one.. win or loose, and then accept the place in the pecking order. Never had any serious injuries.. they are Japanese bantams with stumpy little legs.. they can't do any real harm.. and they are free range.. so the looser can run off to recover.

At the moment I have 3 mature roosters (over 4 years old). They all have been in the flock for at lease 3 years. But the lowest ranking one (a white one) started to cause some trouble, and in the last few days was challenging the top rooster, and generally annoying all the hens.

Last night he defeated the top rooster after a few short fights. No injuries except a few small cuts to the face and wattles. Everything settled down. The top rooster accepted his place below the white one. So did all the others.

But today the new white 'boss' is acting crazy! He had driven off all the roosters, mature, young and even some hens with their chicks. He is bashing up all the hens.. being very rough with them.. attacking the old top rooster constantly.. even driving him off out of the property and up the road.. even though he does not try to fight the white one back.

He is just going mad with the power.. he is attacking chicks, hens, and even is getting feisty with me!

He has been at this all day... will he calm down over the nest few days?

If not I am going to have to find a new home for him.

He has always been at the bottom of the pecking order... it was a surprise how he suddenly took total control!

Last edited:
Sadly his behaviour has got worse. He is trying to kill all the other roosters and chicks. He seems to have gone 'super charged' and is crowing, flapping and fighting everything.. and never take a break.

This is a situation that power has gone to his head!

He is a valuable bird, and I have paired him to a hen and will take them to sell this week. I am quite sad as he is my only white rooster. I like the white birds. I will just have to buy a young white rooster and intergrate it into the flock with the other young birds.

I gave him the chance to calm down.. but his seems to have lost his mind!!!

If you sell him, it should be with full disclosure about his behavior. You don't want him going somewhere that he could injure a child, or cause damage to someone else's flock.

If you sell him, it should be with full disclosure about his behavior. You don't want him going somewhere that he could injure a child, or cause damage to someone else's flock.
I will be sure to do that. I supply birds to a few pet shops in my area. I always sell them at pairs.... or a group of youngsters of mixed sex.

Most people keep them like that. as breeding pairs or trios. Only one rooster. I am sure he will be fine if there are no other roosters about.. and also in a new environment.

Back
Top Bottom