Rooster gone now no eggs

robyn66

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 3, 2013
New Hampshire
I will do my best to make this brief. We had an Americuana Rooster, who was great at his job but just flat out dangerous. After months of trying to make him behave he had to go to freezer camp. This was in June.
We have four Americuana hens and 1 spotted sussex all almost 1 1/2 years old. The first time we let the girls free range without the rooster the spotted sussex took off (or something took her). Anyway we were left with the four hens and egg production is down to one egg a day from the four of them. In the hopes of maybe making this better we got two more young hens. They came yesterday and we got one laid an egg today. (we know its one of the new ones because our other four lay green eggs)

SO I dont know what to do. The rooster was in the same run as the hens so they were experienced by a rooster from day one. the two we just got had a rooster, we have someone willing to give us a very docile rooster. Is the egg drop off because the rooster is gone? Do they need stimulation from a rooster. Their diet is fine, they are healthy birds I just dont know what to do. My husband doesn't want to go through the rooster thing again or feed something that wont produce, but at this point we have four chickens that are "non producing" Should we get the new rooster?

It has been a horrible summer in New Hampshire. There have been extreme temprature flxuations. We had a month of 90+ degrees with high humidity and lots of rain then we have a couple of days in the 50's to 60's and then back to humidity
Well that could be the reason, sometimes the temperature changes drastically where I live and my hens don’t lay or barely lay

Hens don't need stimulation to lay eggs. All females ovulate regardless of species or the presence of males.
Chickens hate change. Losing a rooster and hen from the flock and having them replaced with two strangers is enough stress to stop ovulation for a while. Furthermore, it is well after summer solstice and 1 1/2 half year old birds should be molting or about to molt soon. You probably will get few eggs from your ameraucanas till mid winter when they recover from molt and/or days start to lengthen.
Temperature really has very little to do with it.

Last edited:
With the breeds you currently have I would advise that you will not see many eggs until the end of January, maybe later. If you wish you can supplement the light in your coop and that may jumpstart your hens' internal clock and fool them into thinking that it is already January. Pay special attention to ChickenCanoe's post that appears above, her post very likely names the cause of your egg lessness.

Hi!
Don’t add anymore birds! As stated above the chickens hate changes and they have had a few in a row.

Give them time to adjust and molt if they haven’t yet , it’s hard to be patient but high protein treats will help with feather production . Try cottage cheese, tuna or sprouted lentils.

They’ll come around ❤️

from experience with my other flock it was just the stress of their flock dynamic changing took my girls about a month to lay after we culled some, they were searching for their flock mates as all free ranged together

As others have stated, seems they are affected by all the recent changes. They are animals, not vending machines, as I always say, and changes, including decreasing daylight, affect them. If they are not producing, there is a reason. Let them rest and get settled again after all the upheaval. Getting another rooster will likely cause more stress.

The cock/erel was removed in June...so 3-4 months ago.
When did the free ranging/lost bird/egg slow down happen?

Adding new birds causes stress which can affect laying habits....plus....18 month old hens will be slowing/stopping production about now prior to molting,
most mine haven't laid in a couple weeks.

Back
Top Bottom