Rooster got little chick help?

chickenpal147

Songster
10 Years
Apr 8, 2013
Labadie Missouri
My rooster got one of my 3 months old little chicks. The whole top and back of its neck is ripped off except for a piece of skin just barely hanging on. He did this to one last year but this one is more serious this time. I poured some hydrogen peroxide on it what else can I do to help this little girl.

Oh dear, the poor thing! She must be in some pain. Have you spoken to a vet about pain relief/ recovery? She will need something to cover the wound to avoid infection/further damage.

Do they have enough space during the day to get away from any roosters? Keeping them apart at night would be the better option also.

I haven't had any experience with open wounds but i would probably try to rub on some anti-septic and separate the bird until it's better and not let it happen again by keeping the smaller birds/new birds away from the roosters and larger birds.

Last edited:
Awh that's really difficult when something like that happens. I edited my post as i thought i may have sounded a little off, however not meaning to be :)

Do you have means to separate the younger birds from the rooster(s)? Getting to this point where any birds are drawing blood means you need to remove one or the other.

What's worth more (to you) the roosters or the young hens?

As of right now she is the only aha is the only hen we are trying to introduce to our two older chickens, for the most part she sleeps in a big dog crate but I let her out today so she wasn't in a little area and usually she hides under our bushes. Right now she is sitting in my bathtub. Poor little thing.

Put her someone where that the other chickens can't get to her. I brought mine in the house and set up her food and water in a Rubbermaid bin.You can use neosporin ( NOT the kind with pain relief)
Keep it clean. I left mine uncovered . It will heal faster than you think !
Good luck !!

I'd use some antiseptic and rub it on and just keep the bird isolated from the others, or keep it inside? Like the above poster said. I'm in the UK so i have no idea what US antiseptic creams are called, especially for animals :)

I kept mine inside because she ended up with a nice open wound on her head and I didn't want any of the dust or particles from the coop getting in there. Any antibiotic ointment is good just make sure it doesn't have a pain reliever in it . Some do and it will say it if it does . I let the air get to it and it did heal faster than I thought .

Back
Top Bottom