rooster guinea problems

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by g&h farm, Jan 30, 2011.

1. g&h farm

g&h farm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2011
    Brooksville, Fl
    So I let my chickens out to free range today, they havent been out for a few weeks due to pig my pig becoming aggresive towards them. Right away my rooster and guineas started fighting really nasty. My guineas are free range all the time but I did put the male in the coop for now and that seams to have settled thing for now. Has anyone else had this problem? Im not holding out much hope that things will get better, I think they will just fight to the death and Im not willing to let that happen. Any advice?

2. puredelite

puredelite Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't have any guineas now but when I use to have them I remember one thing about them- they are very aggresive birds. 'Specially the roo's. Would chase any other fowl away from the food bowl. Even as chicks they couldn't be raised with other breeds as they seem to be born just with a mean nature. You may just have to keep him separate until the flock starts to free range apart from your chickens or just let them fight it out and the loser will probably retreat to a distance.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Rather than fighting one on one, guineas will frequently "gang attack" with resultant possibility of major injury. Once agitated they can become relentless. This behavior escalates as we approach breeding season. I think war has been declared.

4. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Quote:I've only seen three guinea attacks in my yard and every time thay would attack in a gang and it was bad. I would keep your chickens separate or let them free range part of the day and let the guineas out after the chickens are put back up.

5. roosterman17

roosterman17 New Egg

Mar 10, 2012
    i am having the same problems the guinea is moving his way up the pecking order

6. Joe.G

Joe.G Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    My two guineas are at the bottom of the order with my older Hens and Rooster, The guineas did try and pick on my 8 wk old pullets none stop for a bit but that seems to have stopped, My rooster would chase them away from the pullets at times also. Guineas to me are just odd looking dumb birds that are very noisy and go and get into everything and they are also very loud.

7. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Those things are crazy. I really have to say, that I will never own them again.
    Unless I want to drive my neighbors crazy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by