Rooster has black tips on comb

cfocats

Hatching
Dec 23, 2021
All my bardrock rooster has black tips on his comb, not sure if from the cold weather(we have had some freeze days, 1-2hr in early am)
Or a disease
Any help appreciated
20220108_082807.jpg

Looks like frostbite. How's the ventilation in your coop?
Coop size, #chickens, heat or no heat would be useful information, too.

Definitely looks like frostbite. Keep an eye on it. Sometimes that part will just deaden/fall off. My girls got a touch of it last February and theirs recovered without any loss.

thank you all, they have a walk in coop 16x8 , 7ft ceiling and the top 15 inches was just wire, and i have put plastic on that part now. I had a heating element in coop, but have moved it closer to where they roost, and ordered a heating panel. We got down to 25 in am on a couple of days, and all the hens seem to be ok, so looks like it took the brunt of the cold . I have total of 4 full size hens & the 1 rooster, 1 bantam rooster and 2 bantam hens.

Will keep eye on his comb and hopefully it will take care of itself.

There needs to be some high up overhead ventilation in the coop even in freezing weather to remove humidity from breath of birds. Avoid direct drafts. Frostbitten combs usually require no treatment, and avoid vaseline, since that can freeze making things worse. Do no rub or massage frostbitten skin either.

Back
Top Bottom