rooster has defeathered select hens, separated rooster and now blood has just been shed.

TedTheTheologist

Hatching
Aug 18, 2020
i never planned on having a rooster. he was abandoned at my house when we got our coop. we got hens for him after a month of building a run. he’s completely defeathered my hens. i’m vegetarian, so culling is not in my interests. nobody will accept an unwanted rooster. built him his own sectioned run for him. he sleeps with them in the coop. hens have now been bullying each other and blood has been shed. these hens need feathers for the upcoming winter. help please.

i don’t know the exact measurements. they have a coop, run, and fenced in area. they free range in the fenced in area. 8 (now 7) chickens. it’s easily over 1,000 SQ FT. is that enough?
Sounds like plenty of room. Chickens don’t like changes so they might be re-ordering the pecking order after the rooster was removed. But when blood is shed you have to intervene. Can you get some hen aprons for them to protect their backs from the rooster then let him back in with them to restore the order?

Sounds like plenty of room. Chickens don’t like changes so they might be re-ordering the pecking order after the rooster was removed. But when blood is shed you have to intervene. Can you get some hen aprons for them to protect their backs from the rooster then let him back in with them to restore the order?
I agree hen aprons would help

can’t catch one. tried getting them at night but first one i tried to saddle up bruised their wing by hitting me with it too much. i need to tar their backs, that way i don’t have to handle their wings.

I tried the hen saddles. The rooster always manages to get them off and/or tear them up

Back
Top Bottom