Rooster has horse/Raspy-crow all of sudden, title says it all.

Joe evans

In the Brooder
May 15, 2020
title says it all. today i went to feed my flock and noticed/heard a odd noise so i checked it out further n found out it was my cuban and only today has his voice sounded raspy/horse only when he crows and his breather when held is minor raspy aswell. yesterday he was fine all week he was fine. i was out there all day yesterday with my flock and there wasn't any issues with him then at all. as of today june 22nd hes had this. so i removed him from the coupe gave him a nice medical bed with food and water he accepts both hes inside the garage right sitting tight. so i hope his cough i guess ill call it is a minor infection. im hoping for the best help n advice i can get here to help my little guy out, i have posted links of his crowing yesterday now as of today links provided below

CHECK LIST
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
breed: Cubalaya i think
about 2 years old. its his second spring/summer

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
hes eating and drinking plenty as normal rooster should
Crop feels and looks fine, he doesn't turn down food or water when offered. other then his voice nothing.

CHECK LIST

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
today the very very first day i noticed this. his crowing was perfectly fine yesterday and i was out side with them for most the day

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
no others. just him

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No. Nothing at all.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
from what i know of and gather he some how injured his eye some how and he wont open it hes keeping it closed on purpose because ive seen him opening it up n closing it a few times he was fine few days b4 this eye issue. and besides the changing/dulling semi dark red of his comb nothing else seems wrong from list of symptoms but im still confused on what is wrong with his eye and is he sick from something else i dont know of maybe?

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
he hasn't stopped eating or drinking since i brought inside to his nursery bed. no changes there

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
its green with powdered iconic chicken white cap and its hard. no blood no watery mess no outta ordinary from what i can tell stools

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Nothing. so far as im not entirely sure whats wrong and i cant find a good solid answer

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Treat him myself if possible

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
here are two videos of his crowing before and after. incase you missed it above

His crow was like this yesterday. this video is months OLD but his crow sounds about same.

and this is what his crow sounds like as of today, JUNE 22th n i assume its a infection of some kind very minor i hope.

Can you take a picture of his eyes if either is abnormal. Do you see any bubbles or foam or swelling of either eye? Does he sneeze, cough, or have crackles or wheezes when breathing? Can you describe his usual coop, as far as bedding and how much air circulation there is? Has it been wet or muddly lately? Have you ever had another chicken with a respiratory issue? There are a handful of common respiratory diseases from bacteria, viruses, and mold fungus. Each may have different symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom