Rooster has Red Raw Rear End

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ellie32526, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Crowing

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Never use Nu-Stock near any mucous membranes and that includes the vent. It is a mange medicine labeled for horses and dogs that works well for scaly leg mites and that's it. Soap and water won't "clean" a coop. Disinfectants like Oxine AH, Biophene will, along with eliminating viruses, bacteria, fungi. Whitewash has mild antimicrobial properties but won't do much against external parasites. Emulsified concentrates of permethrin/Rabon-Vapona are preferred and labeled for use around and on poultry. Chemicals can be organic or synthetic. Permethrin is derived from pyrethrin, an organic chemical that comes from daisies.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  2. ellie32526

ellie32526 Songster

Oct 21, 2012
    North Texas
    Okay everyone I think I have this figured out. My Rooster has a condition called Vent Gleet. It is still in the early stages and normally attacks hens, but sometimes roosters.

Vent Gleet is not contagious (Thank Goodness!) which is why none of my other birds are affected. A visit to the vet for some Nystatin liquid suspension and my big boy should be on the road to recovery. Fingers crossed. I will keep you posted. I will try to get some picks as well so you can see what it looks like but if you go to Google and search vent gleet there are some good sites with clear pics.

3. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Crowing

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Here's some helpful info on vent gleet: http://www.ultimatefowl.com/wiki/index.php?title=Vent_Gleet
    Good luck. I hope your bird recovers quickly.

4. ellie32526

ellie32526 Songster

Oct 21, 2012
    North Texas
    Thank you. I appreciate your help. I have been looking for an avian vet all day so I could get some Nystatin with no luck. The vet I use used to have one but she left. I was able to find some powdered probiotic and I put the garlic and the probiotic in the water. I need to flush him out. I sprayed his butt with blu kote to keep the hens from pecking his bright red bare butt. I also bought some triple protection ointment that has healing properties but I realize the source of this is coming from the inside. I am going to get some castor oil and apple cider vinegar tomorrow.

I do feed yogurt often but he doesn't eat until the hens have had their fill so he probably doesn't get enough. This started as heat stress I believe and also they soiled their water a couple times while I was away. .

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Nystatin is the same as Medistatin that is available online without a prescription if you google it.

6. ellie32526

ellie32526 Songster

Oct 21, 2012
    North Texas
  7. ellie32526

ellie32526 Songster

Oct 21, 2012
    North Texas
    Hooray! I finally found a vet that treats poultry not too far from my house. My diagnosis was correct - Vent Gleet or yeast infection. Dr. Shurtleff said the reason the Nystatin didn't work is because I was giving too small a dose. We tried Red on Nystatin for 10 days but the poor guy has had the yeast infection so long that it is really resistant to treatment. He has Red on Ketoconazole now. The tablets are 200 mg but I only give a quarter in the morning and at night. He is finally getting better. I have about 5 days of medicine left to give him. I have separated the roosters from the hens to prevent re-infection. All the breeding was spreading it around. The hens are getting about 1/2 cup of plain nonfat yogurt and a capsule of probiotic (10 million strain kind) sprinkled over and mixed with their food. Everyone gets a tablespoon of BRAGGS Organic Apple Cider Vinegar in the 1 gallon waterer daily

Am I insane or what? I have spent almost $200 on this FREE rooster that I never wanted in the first place-a gift from the hatchery. LOL.

8. Daddy rooster

Daddy rooster Chirping

Sep 29, 2017
    What is ACV

9. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    ACV is shorthand for apple cider vinegar.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: