Rooster has Sour Crop - Can it be cured or is it just old age?

HippieAtHeart

Peace, Love & Chickens ✌️
Mar 22, 2020
Southeastern Pennsylvania
So my rooster has been off a few days. I noticed 2/3 days ago and went to check on him, he seemed fine and was eating the treats I gave so I figured he’d sort it out. Fast forward to today he’s been laying by himself and when I checked on him he wasn’t eating and had liquid come out his beak which was sour smelling. Felt his crop and it’s squishy, I don’t doubt it’s sour crop. I am going to get monistat and work to treat him with that based off the BYC article but I am wondering if I’m just delaying the inevitable or if this could just be a one off issue for him?

*I don’t know how old he is because we inherited him, thinking roughly 6/7/8.

Thank you so much for your response, I always value your thoughts. I gave him his first dose of miconazole cream and some water. He took it with no issues so that was positive.

I just treated all my chickens for roundworms about a month or two ago because I found worms in the feces under the roost. I gave the horse dewormer for I think it was a week (maybe 5 days, I can’t remember, I’ve had a baby since then and life’s been jumbled lol).
Also I did a check for mites and lice and none to be seen thank goodness!

I’ll see if I can get pictures of his poop, as far as he goes he looks normal minus sitting down. Difference is he will stretch up his neck, shake it and then huddle back down. It is cold here, about 18 degrees Fahrenheit. I do not have an option for additional warmth as my shed I once used has since been converted to my husbands home office. My rooster has been enjoying the sunshine parts of the run today though.

I put a bowl of fresh water out in addition to my heated 5 gallon bucket with nipples and will continue to do so.

I hope this helps, I’ll make sure to do the full 7 days. He is a wonderful rooster and still has so much to show his rooster “son” that was hatched this summer.
I wouldn't massage the crop if it's sour and full of fluid, you risk pushing the fluids up and he aspirate on them.

Are you able to look inside his beak to make sure there's no yellow or white pasty material? Next time you give him the miconazole, take a look.

Congratulations on your baby!

In temps like that since he's sitting a lot, I would provide him with extra straw for him to snuggle in to.

I would treat him for Sour Crop.
Also consider deworming as well if you haven't dewormed him lately.
Photos of the rooster and his poop may be helpful.

He may benefit by being placed somewhere warmer if your temps are quite low, this way he's not struggling to stay warm.
Do provide water during waking hours. I normally don't withhold food, a bird with a crop issue usually self limits food to begin with, so I would make a small amount of wet mash available.
Even if he gets better in a couple of days, finish the course of yeast cream. That's give 2X a day for 7 days, it's important to finish treatment.

Look him over for lice/mites - if any, get rid of those too.
With him having a little age on him, he may naturally be in a decline. Most crop problems are a symptoms of an underlying condition or illness. Worms, Coccidiosis, Infection are few.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Have you tried massaging the crop? Sometimes by gently massaging the crop a few times a day you can get the contents of the crop to go down.
I did do some earlier today, I will try again tomorrow morning before giving him the cream again and again in the afternoon. I know he’s old, but if I can help it I’d like him to live another year or two

It's good that the inside of his beak seems clear. Pasty material can be thrush or canker so you don't want those.

It can take time for a crop issue to clear up, hopefully he will start to get better. I'd take a look at his poop.
I know you dewormed a while back, but if he doesn't improve, then I would consider deworming again just in case worms are part of the problem.

I'm sorry the hen died.
If sending the body for necropsy is an option for you, that would give you the best answers. Some of us do our own, while not formal at all, sometimes we are able to tell if a hen had reproductive issues, cancer, etc., so if you feel like that's something you can do, then take some photos and we'll try to help if we can.

I think I would diluted bleach to clean the water bucket that way you know you killed all the mold. Does the bucket have nipples or cups too? If so, then I would soak those in diluted bleach water as well.

There's usually an underlying condition, illness/disease that causes crop symptoms. Could be a blockage, but a severe worm infestation could also affect the digestive system enough to cause symptoms as well.

Can you get a video of their actions - the opening the mouths and what your rooster and his poop looks like? Upload to youtube and provide a link.
looks like? Upload to youtube and provide a link.
With a heavy heart we made the decision to cull our rooster Stumpy today. He was in really bad shape today and violently shaking trying to clear his crop. Unfortunately chicken nature took its course and our other rooster decided it was his time to make a move and started to attack him, that was when we made the call. He was the best rooster, there will never be another like him.

RIP Stumpy

As far as my hens go, I’ve been watching them today and haven’t noticed anything odd. Im going to deworm them all again just as a precaution. Feeling sad we went from 10 to 8 chickens in 3 days.
02DC00C0-3D7A-4CB8-9C83-EC112E7A8B13.jpeg

I would treat him for Sour Crop.
Also consider deworming as well if you haven't dewormed him lately.
Photos of the rooster and his poop may be helpful.

He may benefit by being placed somewhere warmer if your temps are quite low, this way he's not struggling to stay warm.
Do provide water during waking hours. I normally don't withhold food, a bird with a crop issue usually self limits food to begin with, so I would make a small amount of wet mash available.
Even if he gets better in a couple of days, finish the course of yeast cream. That's give 2X a day for 7 days, it's important to finish treatment.

Look him over for lice/mites - if any, get rid of those too.
With him having a little age on him, he may naturally be in a decline. Most crop problems are a symptoms of an underlying condition or illness. Worms, Coccidiosis, Infection are few.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Thank you so much for your response, I always value your thoughts. I gave him his first dose of miconazole cream and some water. He took it with no issues so that was positive.

I just treated all my chickens for roundworms about a month or two ago because I found worms in the feces under the roost. I gave the horse dewormer for I think it was a week (maybe 5 days, I can’t remember, I’ve had a baby since then and life’s been jumbled lol).
Also I did a check for mites and lice and none to be seen thank goodness!

I’ll see if I can get pictures of his poop, as far as he goes he looks normal minus sitting down. Difference is he will stretch up his neck, shake it and then huddle back down. It is cold here, about 18 degrees Fahrenheit. I do not have an option for additional warmth as my shed I once used has since been converted to my husbands home office. My rooster has been enjoying the sunshine parts of the run today though.

I put a bowl of fresh water out in addition to my heated 5 gallon bucket with nipples and will continue to do so.

I hope this helps, I’ll make sure to do the full 7 days. He is a wonderful rooster and still has so much to show his rooster “son” that was hatched this summer.

Have you tried massaging the crop? Sometimes by gently massaging the crop a few times a day you can get the contents of the crop to go down.

Back
Top Bottom