Rooster having issues walking

jjorgie

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2016
I have a rooster who is having issues walking. He seems to keep his feet close together, even when he walks he seems to keep them too close together. Anyone ever dealt with this? He is about five years old and is a Brahma. He no longer is able to keep up with his hens and I am coming close to having him put down. I really don't want to, but I can't bear the thought of him being killed by a predator. He has been a great rooster and deserves better. Any ideas???

Maybe he is stiff from arthritis or some other problem of growing older. If you have a local vet who treats your other animals, they might be able to prescribe a medicine for pain such as meloxacan or even rimadyl which is used in dogs. A baby aspirin twice a day can also be given to a chicken in their food. Hopefully he can still live out his life without a lot of pain.

Unfortunately we had to put him down :( Talk about hard. George Jones has been a big staple in our chicken coops. He was the rooster of all roosters. He was big, beautiful and fearless. His hens loved him and never, ever left his side, even as he was getting weaker and attracting the flying predators. His flock of hens always ensured at least one of them was with him at all times. He was a kind rooster, but still knew how to get the ladies in place and they adored him and vice versa. I never had a rooster like him before and he is greatly missed. I have two of his sons, but they only carry pieces of George and not the whole package. We buried him and I cried my eyes out. I just couldn't see my big beautiful boy in pain, his walking was getting worse. I tried aspirin and then rimadyl, but neither was enough to give him a painless life that he so rightly deserved. I picked up his son Hope and told him you have some big shoes to fill. If that doesn't workout, the whole flocked will be moved in with his other son, Prince and his hens. It truly was a big hit to our chickens to lose him. He ruled our land for the past 6 years. We never thought about not having him around.

Back
Top Bottom