Rooster having trouble breathing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by EmSc, Nov 20, 2013.

1. EmSc

EmSc New Egg

Nov 20, 2013
    Waterford, Ontario, Canada
    My 6-month-old rooster Lew has been sneezing and wheezing all day, and it is getting worse. None of my other chickens are showing symptoms. We recently got some new birds from an auction, but they were quarantined for a few weeks before being introduced to our flock, and none showed strange symptoms. They've all been together for over 2 weeks. Our flock has been totally healthy before now, and Lew seemed fine until this morning. I've got him isolated and have put antibiotics in his water, but he seems too sick to eat or drink. I've attached a video...If anyone can tell me what this is or what I should do about it, I would really appreciate it!

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I couldn't get the sound on my Ipad, but your rooster looks like he has gapeworm, although it may just be symptoms of the respiratory infection. Valbazen, Safeguard Liquid wormer, and thiobendazole will all treat gapeworm. I would go ahead and treat him for it as well as keep him on the AB's. Hope he gets better.

1 person likes this.
  3. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    I am thinking that too. His comb going purple like that is showing that he is stressed and his cardiovascular system isn't working as well as it should.

Good luck!

4. EmSc

EmSc New Egg

Nov 20, 2013
    Thank you both for your feedback! Turns out it's really hard to find over-the-counter treatment for gapeworm here (southern Ontario), but while I've been searching, the antibiotics have really made a difference. I'm guessing it was a respiratory infection, because he's looking a ton better. Will continue to monitor him, but I'm relieved it looks like he'll pull through just fine. :)

Thanks again!

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Glad he's looking better! In the future, you can buy Safeguard (fenbendazole 10%) horse paste OTC in Canada and I read a study that says the effective dose for gapes is 20mg/kg three days in a row, so you would need to weigh him and give .2ml per 1kg (2.2 pounds) three days in a row.

Safeguard paste has 100mg fenbendazole per gram
    1ml = 1cc
    1ml of paste weighs 1gram, I know, I weighed it, lol.

This is the study I read:
    Efficacy of fenbendazole against helminth parasites of poultry in Uganda.

Ssenyonga GS.
    Abstract

Fenbendazole 4% (Panacur, Hoechst) administered in feed was used to treat chickens infected with Ascaridia galli, Heterakis gallinarum and Railletina spp. It was also used to treat Syngamus trachea in broiler birds. There was a marked drop in helminth egg counts in the faeces on the second day of treatment and the faeces became negative by the seventh day after the last treatment. Post-mortem examination 15 to 21 days later showed that the drug was 100% effective against Ascaridia galli and Heterakis gallinarum at 10 mg/kg. However, for complete removal of Railletina spp. 15 mg/kg was required. Similarly 20 mg/kg fenbendazole was effective against Syngamus trachea. It was concluded that fenbendazole is suitable for the treatment of the important intestinal and tracheal worms of poultry, a dose of 15 to 20 mg/kg for 3 consecutive days being recommended for use under field conditions.

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  6. EmSc

EmSc New Egg

Nov 20, 2013
    That's really good to know. My local feed store does carry the horse paste, but not the poultry liquid, and the worker there didn't know if I could use the horse formula for birds. I will definitely keep that in mind if any of my birds start exhibiting similar symptoms. Thanks a lot for passing that info on!

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm glad he is doing better--he looks so sad on that video. The thiobendazole is supposed to be given 3 times over 10 days for gapeworm if you can get it from your regular veterinarian. But a respiratory disease can really look like gapeworm, especially at nighttime when they seem to be the worst. Good luck.

8. sktlmt

sktlmt Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2013
    My rooster is having labored breathing. I just wormed the flock. He was making odd noises on the roost last night so i brought him inside. He is still open beak breathing. It appears he ate a little. I felt his throat and about 1-2 inches down there felt a funny lump. I have no idea if this is normal. He seemed to relax when i rubbed the lower portion of his neck. Could this be gape worm or respritory infection? What do i give him?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by