Rooster Help - Attacking Hen

He definitely steps out of my way when I walk in his path. I've been nice to him since day one, but also shown I am not one to accept any bad behavior towards me. And he so far has not shown any behavior towards me that shows he intends to be aggressive.
I will try the separation method. He just gets a little nuts when he is not with the girls and tries getting through the chicken wire barrier. Which is annoying, but maybe he will calm down after realizing that is going to be what it is for now.
Never thought about the food protein part. Makes sense though, maybe I can try that as well
smile.png
I don't think that protein is your current problem, I only meant it as a suggestion if you are keeping him long term. @Ridgerunner has it pretty accurate.

It's OK for him to be upset trying to get through the chicken wire. We always worry about what stress we cause them. They are livestock and will adjust to suit your needs. Better to have him upset than a bleeding hen.

Even when they aren't trying... cockerels are still learning their mating behaviors and one of my pullets is missing a good chunk our of her comb because one of them grabbed a hold during the process. As they mature they will learn manners where they actually serenade and they drop their wing and do a little dance for the ladies. And then they call them to treats eventually. And they will take no for an answer. Verses in the beginning he is just concerned about jumping on and doesn't care what happens in the process. They don't really become protective of the hens until later than that even. So you still have quite a few hormonal changes to go through with him. Weird how things come naturally at certain ages.

The separation is worst at first because they aren't used to being separate from the flock at all. My boys get crazier at the fence when a pullet comes near and then races off, they run back and forth trying to find a place through more intently. Even a chick that gets on the wrong side of the fence will try desperately to get back in instead of enjoying their new found freedom.

Great thread and thank you everyone for posting :D

I'm having the same trouble here right now with a young cockerel asserting his authority over the dominant hens. They have had control over him and today he finally stood up to them. They sure were shocked, especially the hen that has been crowing alongside him. She was first in line to be shown his dominance, she fought back and in the end accepted he was now in charge. Her 2 deputies got it next but they both accepted it after a good battle. I'm sure he felt good after these spats today, he's put up with a lot from them!

They all headed off into the coop together this evening quite happily but if this will last or not I do not know. Fingers crossed the worm turning today will be the end of the battles :fl

Back
Top Bottom