Rooster help needed

teddychalupa

Hatching
Apr 27, 2016
Having a problem with a Batam bared Rock roo. He is crazy mean to the hens. He is only 3 months and all he does is chase them all day and try to rip out their neck feathers. They are pretty much traumatized. The night time ritual of them picking out their roosts used to be so peaceful. Now it is chaos. He just chases them all around the coop. So.... I think I know what I should do but I'm feeling really bad about it. Is there anyway this behavior will even out or will he stop this ???? Or any other recommendations other than the soup pot?
1f615.png

He's hormonal and isn't thinking clearly. You can butcher him and be done with him or you can make him a cozy pen where he will stay for a month or two or three until he matures a bit and settles down and your hens mature a bit too. It's quite common to have young roosters running amok and causing chaos. Most grow out of it and become decent roosters, but in the mean time you should think of the girls first and remove him for a while, somewhere where he can see everyone and interact through a fence but not cause trouble.

I've got one like that right now, same age. He's in lockdown, a big dog crate in the coop. He will be moving on next month, an extra boy anyway. So far not human aggressive, so MIGHT have another chance, with hens, not pullets. Mary

Back
Top Bottom