Rooster help

kuchchicks

Songster
8 Years
Apr 8, 2015
I know this is the hatching forum but it's also the one that seems like people respond best, so here goes.

I have a dominant silkie and dominant polish roo. For multiple reasons I need them in the same coop. I have more than enough females so that should not be an issue. But I have tried to introduce them a couple of times and both have been unsuccessful. Right now they are separated by wire fencing right next to each other. They have been that way for several months. I don't want either hurt or killed but not sure how to get them together successfully. I have never had a problem joining Roos before. Suggestions?!

Are you able to free range them at all? Even if it's just for a couple hours, it will give them plenty of space to check each other out but room to run if need be.

I have found that once any of my males decide they need to fight with another male for dominance, it's best to let them fight it out and decide that one is the winner. I spent a good chunk of my summer trying to get my Peacock and Muscovy drake to stop fighting and the more I intervened, the worse it got. Once I just let them be, they duked it out and finally quit. The Muscovy got a couple bruises and bled a bit on his caruncles but in the end they were fine. I would only suggest this with massive amounts of space though. I think when they are confined, they are more likely to inflict fatal wounds since one doesn't have the space to back down and run away...

Unfortunately because of dogs in the area I cannot free range them.

So if I let them duke it out at what point do I step in? How do I know when it's safe to stop watching them? If I put them in at night while roosting how do I assure that they will not kill each other before I wake up and get out there?

If one ends up too injured or weak to get away, and the other isn't letting up, that's when you need to step in. Usually once it's clear that there is a loser, the winner will back off. Constantly chasing and attacking another rooster that has clearly submitted indicates that he is too aggressive. Some boys will never tolerate another male ever. Those boys will pass on that nasty attitude to their chicks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom