rooster & hen behavior questions

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by StellaLenoir, Oct 28, 2007.

1. StellaLenoir

StellaLenoir Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2007
    I posted on what breed/gender is this, about my 4 polish chickens.

Everyone thinks I have 3 roos and 1 hen. 3 have pointed tail feathers, and saddle feathers. 2 have pointed crests and neck feathers. 3 have wattles. Only 1 crows. They are all 21 weeks old.

The rooster has been obviously a male for a few months. And crowing for about 1.5 months.[​IMG]

The brown one,
    [​IMG]I have gone back and forth on for months. Looks like a roo, but acts like a hen.

The last roo, only just started getting pointed feathers on his back and tail in the last 2 weeks. This one I really thought was a girl. Was the smallest.
    [​IMG]

The hen and the 2 roos that do not crow are always together. They root around, and sleep together and make the same noises. The rooster is the only one who acts different.

I tried the petting thing to see who squated, and one of the roos does! The brown one, Noodle as in chicken noodle.

They do not fight, and so far I have not seen any mating behavior. My questions are,
    so long as they dont fight can 3 roos and 1 hen live together?

Will my hen lay eggs with this many boys?

Will she be *happy* or over whelmed?

Why would only 1 roo crow?

any ideas???? thanks!!

2. bunch-a-chickens

bunch-a-chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2007
    Claiborne County Tn.
    #1 hens must lay. they continue to make them, so the have to come out. #2 not sure about the happy-over whelmed thing. #3 some roos mature faster than others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by