Rooster hen ratio

If you have a place to send him, I do recommend doing so ASAP. Cockerels and roosters take some experience, and you need some time to develop that. Roosters have ruined the whole chicken experience for a lot of people.

If you have children under the age of 6 I strongly suggest you send the bird to the other flock. Children tend to be attacked first, then women, then men, and children tend to take the attack in their face or head due to their size. This forum is filled with posts where the darling became the nightmare in an instant, which is probably not quite true, but inexperienced people did not pick up on the cues the bird was becoming aggressive, and often times vastly underestimate the violence of an attack.

An all hen flock is a nice flock to start with. You have years to do this hobby, think of adding a rooster if you want in the years to come.

Mrs K

It could work, but I would keep an eye on it and separate the hens if they start losing feathers. I have 3 different flocks with a rooster in each. Each flock has about 20 hens so I could add more roos if I wanted

What breed is the rooster that makes a big difference in ratio of hens to Roos.
example is it a silkie? Keeping him might work

if it’s a production breed or some dual purpose like a RIR or leghorn might not work.

Learning a lot here from being in a similar boat and just reading what has already been said... Is there actually a way to teach a rooster to be a gentleman? If so I'd love to learn some techniques. I want my tiny flock to be happy and live in harmony....plus I have a problem with getting attached. If I can avoid having to get rid of an oppsie rooster, I'd love to try anything.

Back
Top Bottom