Rooster hen ratio

cp641

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2023
I am a new chicken owner. I got 5 chicks, 4 are hens, 1 is a rooster. I was hoping to get all hens since I’m looking for eggs, but obviously knew that wasn’t a guarantee. Is there anything I need to know about having a roo in my flock? Is my ratio okay? I have a neighbor that can take him i to his flock if it’s going to be a nuisance with my girls. Totally blind on this! Thanks!!

Well, I guess it's kind of okay..
But the proper ratio is 1 roo for every 7-10 hens
Your roo might be a nuisance to the hens, but I would just spend some time with them..
If the girls seem to hate him or they are stressed or hurt out all the time, then I would say it's time for him to go, but if not, then I'd say keep him.

You really should have about 10 to 1 ratio. I have 11 hens to one rooster and even still have damage to some of my hens back feathers.
This is just what hatcheries use for best fertility.

@cp641 with my flocks, I have found 6 hens to 1 rooster a good amount; but sometimes have been as low as 2 to 1, and didn't have any issues with it.
It depends a lot on the temperaments of both hens and rooster, as to what will work. Some hens get bare backs even when it is 10 to 1 and above, and some never do even with just a couple of hens.
See how it goes, if they all start getting bare backs and looking rough then maybe re-home him, but give him a chance first.

I am a new chicken owner. I got 5 chicks, 4 are hens, 1 is a rooster. I was hoping to get all hens since I’m looking for eggs, but obviously knew that wasn’t a guarantee. Is there anything I need to know about having a roo in my flock? Is my ratio okay? I have a neighbor that can take him i to his flock if it’s going to be a nuisance with my girls. Totally blind on this! Thanks!!
Most numbers given above are either guesses, theories, speculation, etc.
Every bird and setup are different.
The only way to tell is time and experience.
But have a plan ready in case things go sideways once the cockerel hits sexual maturity around 3-4 months.

The 'rooster' to hen ratio of 1:10 that is often cited is primarily for fertility efficiency in commercial breeding facilities.
It doesn't mean that if a cockbird has 10 hens that he won't abuse or over mate them.
Many breeders keep pairs, trios, quads, etc ....short term and/or long term.
It all depends on the temperaments of the cock and hens and sometimes housing provided.
Backyard flocks can achieve good fertility with a larger ratio.

We call it as a ten to one ratio, but that is often a fallacy. The real deal is about the Roo.

A good Roo can live with one hen without wearing her like shoes, a bad Roo, can cause hell with twenty hens. Teach him to be a gentleman if you can and send him away if you fail.

Back
Top Bottom