Bird Buddies

-BUCK-

Make America Country Again! 🇺🇲💪🤠🦅
Jun 10, 2023
The Sticks
My Coop
My Coop
In this thread, we post stories of our flock, and show off our birds, chickens, etc.

The first story on the list is mine, which is about my hen, Genesis, and her buddy, Clover.
20230411_164316.jpg

This is the week they first met, and they have stuck together ever since.
So Genesis was the first hatch on the farm, and two other hatched after her. They were all good friends, but sadly, the other two were attacked.:hit
Genesis survived, but she wasn't doing well, so we set up a "chicken hospital" for her and nursed her back to health. A couple weeks prior to the incident, I hatched another chick...
One out of sixteen...
The incubators fan was broke, so only one made it. The new chick was very lonely, so, when Genesis was back to good health, we introduced them to each other, and they became best friends for life.
:ya
Now Genesis is a full blown chicken (she hasn't laid any eggs yet) and Clover almost has his big boy chirp.
16872667358725934195637171720628.jpg

Clover (up close) is a Delaware-Dorking mix, and Genesis, (further back) is a Dorking - Araucana mix (I call it Dorcana)

So I've posted my story, now y'all post y'all's stories!
PXL_20230620_132031931~2.jpg

Ain't she a purdy hen?
If anyone wants some "Dorcanas," let me know!
I don't know what color egg she's gonna lay yet.

Here's a rather creepy story-
I had had a few hens who were on and off being broody. I didn't really think anything about it and decided to collect the eggs. Don't ask me how because I collect every day. I must have just missed one for a while. Well, I collected then decided to have some breakfast. I cracked the egg and lo and hehold a dead, half formed chick falls out. :sick I felt rather bad about that, but was glad that it had already died.

Here's a rather creepy story-
I had had a few hens who were on and off being broody. I didn't really think anything about it and decided to collect the eggs. Don't ask me how because I collect every day. I must have just missed one for a while. Well, I collected then decided to have some breakfast. I cracked the egg and lo and hehold a dead, half formed chick falls out. :sick I felt rather bad about that, but was glad that it had already died.
Yikes! I've had that happen too!
Poor chick though..😕

Hey y'all, there's a lady that has too many roosters, and she is trying to find a new home for em. They are very purdy birds, and she don't wanna have to shoot em.

Click Here to learn more

My hen Yokie Jr is a Yokohama mix hen that I hatched a few years ago. Her mother, Yokie, was my silver duckwing Yokohama hen, and she was extremely friendly and my favorite chicken. Unfortunetly she died a few years ago. So about 5 years ago, we had ringneck pheasants and put a batch of their eggs in the incubator. And I decided to put one of Yokies eggs in too. Well, Yokie Jr hatched. She wasn't doing too good at first, but she got better in a few days. We got her a friend and they grew up together. Now Yokie Jr is about 5 or 6 years old, and VERY broody. She goes broody at least twice a year and has successfully raised 3 batches of chicks over the past 3 years. This year she only hatched one chick. Here is a picture of her and her baby!
20230908_171755.jpg
20230908_171622.jpg

My hen Yokie Jr is a Yokohama mix hen that I hatched a few years ago. Her mother, Yokie, was my silver duckwing Yokohama hen, and she was extremely friendly and my favorite chicken. Unfortunetly she died a few years ago. So about 5 years ago, we had ringneck pheasants and put a batch of their eggs in the incubator. And I decided to put one of Yokies eggs in too. Well, Yokie Jr hatched. She wasn't doing too good at first, but she got better in a few days. We got her a friend and they grew up together. Now Yokie Jr is about 5 or 6 years old, and VERY broody. She goes broody at least twice a year and has successfully raised 3 batches of chicks over the past 3 years. This year she only hatched one chick. Here is a picture of her and her baby!
View attachment 3631519View attachment 3631520
Welp I guess they aren't buddies anymore. Yokie Jr started weaning her chick today and now pecks her when she gets too close. The chick seems pretty confused by it

Back
Top Bottom