Rooster & hen?

Jeff M

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 21, 2013
Blacksburg, South Carolina
So I have a strange situation. I have a Rhode Island Red that crows and has spurs so it's a Rooster Right? Can a Rooster lay an egg? I ask because I have this chicken in isolation in a large dog cage as it has been eating eggs. Then this morning there was an egg in the crate with the chicken. So I am totally confused. I've never had a hen crow before and I didn't think hens got spurs which this chicken has but it lays eggs too? Anyone have a similar situation?

A couple of my hens have spurs and are laying just fine. It's not uncommon for older hens to go through "hen-apause" and start crowing. Usually it's hormone related and they generally stop laying though.

I have same question/problem. I'm new to raising back yard chickens. The last two mornings when I go outside (6am) to let the chickens out of the coop. One of my Rhoad Island red is crowing like a rooster. I was told when we bought them at 1 day old they were all hens. None of them have spurs, do I have a rooster or is this common for hen to crow. They are 9 weeks old.

IMG_4633[1].JPG

Back
Top Bottom