Rooster, Hens and Eggs????

Nevada Sun

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 10, 2012
Howden, Manitoba, Canada
Hi,, I have talked to several of my Customers (dog groomer) who have grown up on a working farm,and said they only had hens as it isn't good to have Roosters as the eggs are fertile..Does it really matter to eat eggs that are picked everyday and have roosters with the Hens?? They said you get red in some eggs???? It seems to me alot of you have Roosters right?? Sorry if this is a dump question Kristin

It is not a dumb question. Yes, sometimes the eggs get red spots, but that can also happen in infertile eggs. It's just caused by a glitch in the "egg factory" when that egg is being produced. Fertilized eggs don't look or taste any different than infertile eggs, and as long as you collect your eggs every day, there will not be a problem. Enjoy your rooster and your eggs!

What bobbi-j said. Those blood or meat spots happen regardless of a rooster. You just never see them in store eggs because they candle the eggs and screen those out. I've kept roosters with my layers for 20 years and never had a nasty surprise in an egg. As you said, just don't let them start incubating, collect them every day and it's all good.

Back
Top Bottom