Rooster hit by a car

Well there you go! Just keep water and scrambled eggs available and sounds like he's coming around. Even broken bones can heal without too much done for them. You said he was chewing funny, so maybe a broken jaw, just keep on with soft food and you can give him regular mash tomorrow. Sometimes I just moisten that mash to make it easier to swallow. Nature sure can be tough at times!

It's been nearly 24 hours, and he's not dead. I'm taking that as a good sign. He's tried to get out of the basket once, gave up and lay back down. He's breathing with his beak closed 90% of the time. He's stood on both legs, but not fully weight bearing on the bad one. Thinking not a broken leg? If he's damaged his chest, putting weight on that leg probably hurts.

Fingers crossed! I generally have a bad attitude against roosters (it's fertilised eggs I have the bad attitude about really), but I'm really rooting for him.

He sounds like a survivor! Keep taking care of him and he might very well make it. You are doing a great job with him. Just trust your gut! Do what you know is right! Good luck, Good Chicken Samaritan!

Also, he looks like a white Leghorn Cockeral!
smile.png

I'm not sure what he is! He was a surprise rooster out of a bunch of feed store chicks.

He's doing well, getting spoiled with some yogurt. The end of his beak is broken too, so I'm guessing that is where the blood was from.

How is rooster doing today? Yogurt. Good idea..wish I thought of it. Do you have a large box or place for him while he is recovering? I wanted to caution you about handling him while he is sore..be really gentle of course but don't want him to associate you with pain so limited handling would be best until he can return to the flock. Leghorns aren't really known for their gentle nature, esp the roos.

I haven't been handling him much at all. I lifted him once this morning, to give him fresh bedding. He ended up spending the next few minutes gasping for air before he settled down again. He's definitely more feisty now, but I'm guessing he has some kind of chest damage.

Back
Top Bottom