Rooster hurt hen

Can you keep the dog kennel or cat cage if it is big enough in the coop? Keep her with the others but not where they can get to her. That could ease potential integration issues.

It is just a normal size cat cage. I can definetly get the blue keote tomorrow morning. Will they accept her after just 1 night? 1st time having to do this. Or should I just put the cat cage in there?

I'd consider ordering a chicken saddle/apron just in case...they're pretty cheap on the auction site. Although many swear by it, Blue Kote did not work for me. Had a molting bird who was picking at her own feather shafts as they began poking through...coated her areas thoroughly and she kept picking (although she did make disgusted sounds...lol
tongue.png
).
If it's just for one day, the cat carrier could go in the coop or the house. If it was longer, I would want it in the coop.

Same issue - similar problem - need advice.
I could do it on another thread but it's a simar issue and the responders here seam to know what they are talking about:
8 month old, over serviced hen. "LOLA"
Dime sized black hole in back with raised center , the skin was totally gone from the dime sized area. The center black spot looked like a bad pimple.
I washed it under running water and the skin just fell apart.
Now half dollar sized hole in skin and the water seamed to be running BEHIND and under the unbroken skin.
Put on neosporin and sequestered her and another hen, "Blanche", with her for company.
Lola is agressive to Blanche at food but no other time so I am leaving them together.
Tis wound is HUGE!!!! The skin is not attatched to the body and I fear dirt or infection may have/will get under. Should I sew it up? What should I do?
She's behaving and acting normal.
PS_ sent the offending rooster "away"

I would not sew it up because of the risk of entrapped bacteria causing an abscess. Apply topical antibiotics and allow it to heal from the inside out.

I don't know about the skin part. Hopefully someone will answer. If they don't soon or if you want help now (which I am sure you do) Copy and post in emergency section. I am new to chickens. Sounds like you did everything right so far. I pray everything works out. Please keep me posted. Mine is back with the flock and doing well.
hugs.gif
fl.gif

About 3 months ago our roosters (3) went after my hens. Torn them all up. Almost all of them had bloody vents. Seperated them out, brought them into the house basement for about weeks and kept them treated with antiseptic spray. We didn't lose any of them. The roosters are now sperated from them. They can really be mean!!!!

Best of luck!!!

Speckles our roo has 13 other hens to mate with,but chooses only two to be overmated.Our buff orp,and our white leghorn.He is just a menace.

Update:
"Lola" is doing fine. Her injury is scabbed over, shrinking and healing.
We had another hen injured that I had not seen at that time. "Zena" had an even worse tear in her skin hidden under her wing.
Zena, Lola& Carmela (she had scratches and balb spots) are in my "infirmary" cage. VERY clean, away from roosters, and right in front of where we go in and out of the house. They are almost constantly monitored. I am amazed at the self-healing power of these animals. A horse would have gone septic. Such large wounds and it is all healing without antibiotics injected or major surgery. We just clean with soap and water as nesc. or every 5 days, and neosporin anything open. we keep them warmer (50*), and add apple cider vinegar to the water with a higher protein feed. I can't get over it. They amaze me.

Back
Top Bottom