Rooster in Nest Box

yep thats what the rooster is saying
goodpost.gif

I didn't know that roosters will do that. I do notice that when my leghorn hen lays all the other chickens seem to crowd around and cluck back to her. She is the loudest egg layer ever...And she'll cluck, and they will cluck back..it looks funny to see 9 chickens huddled around one nest box. It's funny that they cheer her on. As far as I can tell only part of the flock attends any of the other egg layings...strange chickens.

My EE roo has done that at times..... maybe he is checking out the attraction to the box after seeing the hens in there, or making sure its safe....curiosity, protectiveness...all the above.

My Blue Orpington rooster spends a big part of his day in and out of the nest boxes. My birds free range all day but Ol' Blue hangs out either in the coop or no further than a 4 ft radius of it all day!

I'm so glad I found this thread! I added 5 new pullets to my existing flock of 3 (2 hens and a rooster) this Spring and noticed my rooster going into the nesting box when one of the new pullets started to lay. I was astounded at his behavior because it seemed so "fatherly", and I was just amazed at his instincts. Not only was he jumping in the nest box, it was like he was making a nest for the new gal because she would jump right in there with him. He kept guiding her into the different boxes, and calling over to her to come check out the space. I hadn't noticed it again until today (December 1st). And I put two and two together, and realized that the last new girl (an EE, typical to wait 8 months before she starts laying!) was starting to lay as well! A bit of a non sequitor, but she laid a beautiful olive egg! I'm so proud of my roo, Lady. He's such a gentleman. :)

I'm so glad I ended up with a rooster! He is such a cool guy, and so good to his girls!

Back
Top Bottom