Rooster in Question

aharris106

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 24, 2013
Frederick, MD
I have a 10 month old RIR who has become what I would call a bit aggressive in his mating behavior. One of my hens has a really large gash under her one wing that I am assuming came from his claws when he was on her. She is healing well and I applied pine tar to the wound.

I separated him, however whenever I try to put him back with the girls he of course goes thru his dance with them and some submit and others just run away. I am afraid he will hurt this one again as that I think she is the target. I noticed before she was injured that she was hiding in a nesting box most of the time. My thought is this was her way of keeping away from him vs. being broody, which was my first thought since she had been doing this for a few weeks.

My entire flock of 1 Roo and 5 hens are all the same age. This is my first experience and I do not want to be too quick to get rid of him (my daughter won't let me put him on our table), but I do not know if this is just normal behavior that he will get over once he matures a little bit??

He has come after myself but I have quickly re-established that I am the boss. I can pick him up, after a little coaxing, to return him to his enclosure. I let him out away from the hens so he can stretch his legs a bit as that I have to keep him in a large dog crate right now.

Any thoughts are welcome. I am keeping him "locked up" for now, until I figure something out.

Thanks!

Hi aharris106, and
welcome-byc.gif

He's a handsome boy! We have PRIR roos and love them!
Some roos have a favorite hen and they clumsily mate them, but many grow out of the clumsy stage.

Ideally, it's recommended to have 7-10 hens per roo, so 5 hens may a little too few for the rotation. There are also "Hen saddles" that can be made or purchased. Someone else may have more ideas for you. Best of luck!

1 of 2 thing most likely occurred; 1-an accident due to mating or 2-a fight due to dominance. If it's a dominance issue it may be a hen problem. If it's 1 then heal her up and return her to the flock he'll get better as we all fumble around in our adolescents.
Only if he is bullish would I consider culling him.

Back
Top Bottom