Rooster injuring hens when mounting

JR1982

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 17, 2013
This is my situation,
I have 6 hens, a mix of Barred rock and Americana. I also have a LARGE Australorp rooster. They have been together for the last 8 months and I have had them all since chicks. About 2 weeks ago, I found that most of the hens were injured from the rooster mounting the hens, actually quite often. One of his favorites hens had been so injured I had to take her out and put her separate for several days to get her healed. I was feeling so bad, I see them daily and the wounds were not visible. They were under the wings and it was only when one of them raised there wings I noticed the issue. I then checked all then hens and all of them has some kind of damage. So, I gave the rooster a separate pen for the time being. But I am wondering if this will happen more, or will the rooster mellow out. I feel bad for the rooster being separated from his flock, but he can see them and be close to them. Can they be together again? Will the rooster mellow out? can I do anything to help this not happen again, other then cooking my rooster, That is not an option. Any help is grateful. Thank you

Yes, the injuries are on the side of like the hips, or lower saddle. Just under the wings where his massive talons would rest. They were really bad. but all is good now and they are all getting feathers back and injuries are healed up good. But I would like to let the rooster out a bit. So, a hen saddle looks like it might just work. One more thing, does this mellow out with age? I have heard that roosters do mellow after about 2 years of age, is this just myth lol, or is this for real? and do you find that the saddles works good? and does the saddle keep the rooster from attempting the mount, or does the rooster ignore it and still do his thing ? Thank you so much for your help, this will make life easier.

Back
Top Bottom