Rooster inside at night in the winter

caitymurray17

In the Brooder
Oct 6, 2021
Hello everyone. I have a rooster who crows in the morning and now my neighbor is complaining that he wakes him up. I really don’t wanna rehome him and I haven’t had any luck anyways. I spoke to someone at a farm today and they said if I bring him inside in a dog crate at night and put a blanket over it in complete darkness he won’t crow. And even if he does it won’t wake up the neighbors. My only concern is that he won’t get acclimated to the cold. I’m in Westchester ny where it’s not terrible cold. The worst of the worst is probs in the 20s and that’s rare for the daytime. If he comes in the warmth during the night and back outside in the day, will he be able to stand the cold during the day?

Thanks

The temperature spread could be a problem. Chickens have no problem with cold, but if they're acclimated to those temps, bringing them inside where it's much warmer can result in heat stress. I've seen this happen. It's not wise.

If you have a shed, garage, or porch room or even a spare room where you can keep the temperature much cooler than a house in winter would be, that would be preferable. If your coop has the space for a crate, then putting the roo in the crate and covering it to keep out all light during the night, would be the best solution.

the big question here is are you legally permitted to have roosters?

if so - are you complying with all parts of your local law? number of birds, setbacks, etc?

if so, go have a talk with your neighbor and see if you can’t smooth things over.

if he persists, and you’re doing nothing wrong, tell him to go pound sand. don’t inconvenience your life to make his better

Agreed. If your rooster is legal then you're within your rights to have him.

If not, then your neighbor is within his rights to complain and, even, to take action.

Bringing him inside at night seems like an extreme measure that would be a lot more trouble than it's worth even discounting the problem with the temperature spread.

How is your coop located in respect to your house and to your neighbor's house? A bit of solid fence would reflect sound and a soft barrier such as a large hedge would muffle it once it grew up.

It's worth trying to work it out amicably, but, again, if your rooster is legal then he's legal.

Personally, having a rooster crowing in my house would be a deal breaker for me. And I highly doubt if he is crowing in the night, he will quit in the house, but to each his own way of doing things.

I live in western SD, with almost no humidity, but wide, wide temperature swings through out the whole winter. A couple of days ago, we were at 65 degrees, this morning -10. So contrary to popular opinion, wide temperature swings do not bother chickens at all.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom