Rooster introducing!!! HELP

MotherHen14

Hatching
Sep 25, 2023
Hello just a question Or actually recommendation so I have about 11 chickens of different types aging from 8 mo old to almost 2yr old. Plus 2 ducks I’ve had problems with predators and keeping the girls lil closer to home so I adopted a 2yr old rooster. I’ve kept them separate for few days now but face definitely been able to see each other and interact with fencing between them. Now when I first introduce them physically do I just let him out first then the girls or vise versa? I’m little intimidated how to I go about this without them killing each other?? HELP

Are you letting them out to free range together or in an enclosed run?

If in a run, ensure plenty of escape routes to different roosts, things they can hide behind or jump up onto, so that either he or they can have refuge from being chased and caught.

Don't be surprised if a) the older hens put him in his place, or b) he asserts himself via rapiness.

Your goal at this stage is "nobody hurt". Bickering, establishing dominance and submission, pecking, chasing etc is normal. It also could go calmly with no drama. Watch them closely and only step in if injuries look imminent.

Best of luck.

Are you letting them out to free range together or in an enclosed run?

If in a run, ensure plenty of escape routes to different roosts, things they can hide behind or jump up onto, so that either he or they can have refuge from being chased and caught.

Don't be surprised if a) the older hens put him in his place, or b) he asserts himself via rapiness.

Your goal at this stage is "nobody hurt". Bickering, establishing dominance and submission, pecking, chasing etc is normal. It also could go calmly with no drama. Watch them closely and only step in if injuries look imminent.

Best of luck.
I let them out free range during day so they have plenty space to run and hide. And Yes my 2 older girls already did they were the only ones to notice he was here! He also came with a handicap chicken with a bad leg he grew up with so he’s definitely used to being around a chicken. He’s very gentle with her though it’s so sweet he doesn’t really show any sign of wanting to mate with her only to make sure she’s ok! It’s actually the cutest thing I’ve ever seen lol! Thank you for advice definitely reassured me on what I needed to know thank you!!!

Back
Top Bottom