ROOSTER INTRODUCTION - ADVICE PLEASE

As to the original question, I don't think it will work..... at least not peacefully. They might settle down, but I don't think they will because you are introducing new birds. I think the possibility for conflict is very high, and I think the number of roosters will stress your hens quite a bit.

Even if you free range all day, they all will come back to the coop at night, and in the winter, with it getting dark so early, they are kind of artificially confined close together for long hours, mine are housed up for about 16 hours per day. I don't lock them in, it is just that when it gets dark, they head in, and are close together, which can cause lots of problems with chickens.

Roosters raised together, often times with enough space, lucky with the genetics and the stars lined up, get along. They tend to work out the pecking order, and with enough space get along..... but sometime will get pretty violent with each other, even having been raised together. Currently I have two, who were raised together...... I plan to keep just one for the winter, almost have my mind made up. I don't have the size of flock you do, and my flock will be happier with just one rooster.

If you have them were they can see each other, that is really a separation, not a quarantine. Not a biggy, just a definition, that many people on here use incorrectly. To quarantine, you need to separate the flocks by a large distance, and keep your clothing, shoes and feed separate too. Many people separate the birds with a fence, which might help with introductions, but does nothing about disease transmission.

It will be interesting to see how it goes, give us an update....personally, I think that is too many strange roosters for that many hens, it might be far from peaceful, might be pretty bloody.

Last edited:
My experience with Hudon Roosters is that they are aggressive and hard on the hens. I took over a hudon and a buff Orp rooster from a friend who thought they were hens when purchased as peeps. When I got them they were just beginning to crow and the buff Orp was much larger and was the alpha rooster. I picked up eight hens within two days of moving the two roos to the coop. One week later her second hudon started crowing so I took him also. Keep in mind these birds had lived together from peeps and were about four months old. The minute I introduced the second hudon the first one attacked him and the chicken fight went on for several minutes. Even after the first hudon had won the fight and the second one was on the ground exhausted he kept pecking him on the head. I separated them but the first one would chase the second one under the coop.which is only about four inches high. I had to cull the first hudon and as soon as I did the second one took over bullying the hens, picking fights with them and forcing himself on them while they were trying to eat. I finally put him down also. They are beautiful birds but I would not recommend them as secondary roosters.

I find that introducing younger roosters (not crowing) is much easier because the older ones tend to ignore them. I think the good thing is that they range, but the hard thing is trying to get them to all roost in the same coup. If you can, introduce all the newbies at the same time and for awhile let them roost in a different coup or barn at night. That way they see each other in the yard each day and get used to each other. They will tend to keep mostly to their own groups. Once you see how that goes you may be able to integrate them easier into the same coup. If they fight a lot in the yard and don't settle things you know you have a problem. They may never accept that new rooster in the same coop and that's just a possibility you'll have to prepare for. Your others may gang up and kill it. They might all hold Hans after awhile and sing camp songs. You just never know...anyway, that's how I would try to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that is certainly good to know. I haven't seen any aggression yet really, maybe a bit but mild. They are separated. You are right tho. I think the Houdan is the more aggressive of the birds. I'm not ready to put them together yet but I'll hang out and monitor. I guess it is just the evenings that will be an issue when everyone goes in. Thank you very much for your info. I really appreciate it.

I'm hoping for the hand holding and the singing :) If not, I'll keep the houdans in their own little area. Thank you very much!

I'm hoping for the hand holding and the singing :) If not, I'll keep the houdans in their own little area. Thank you very much!
yuckyuck.gif

Anyone else get a mental picture of chickens around a campfire?

"Swing low, sweet chariot......."

I'd also be interested to see how things go. A pen for the Houdans might be necessary, and working on rehoming the extras you already have (were you already looking into that?) might be in order, but I'll bet you'll be able to tell us in a month or so!

Well, I kind of want to chide you for that reply. I like my chickens quite a bit and I don't think "giving them the boot" or whatever is the way to do things. That's a quick solve solution and I'm not ready for it yet. Yes, I do want to work on some lines but obviously not throughout a Nova Scotian winter. In the spring I'll separate and work. Until then I'd like peace and harmony....maybe, maybe not I guess. I wasn't looking for that kind of solution but respect your opinion.

No need to get your feathers ruffled sister.
OK, now I think I got it straight; you want to mix various ages, sexes & breeds temporarily untill spring, when you divide them into flocks based on BCM & Houdan lineage and you want to rehome the Americuana. In your original post you failed to mention that it was only temporary till spring so I did not offer a temporary solution, I offered a solution for peace & harmony in a permanant flock.
I accept your apologies for chiding me for my response based on your incomplete information.
So boot the Americuana and do like donrae said to do in post #2. Be aware you may have problems in the coop @ roosting time and might need to divide the roost in half so the Polish/BCM group and the Houdan group has their own roosting sections.

Another physical attribute that may be a hint is the five toes with very long nails. Hudons look like they have been bread to fight. Mine had stare downs with the hens and got into moc fights with them. Since I removed them the flock is much more relaxed. Hens now eat in peace and take dust baths rather than spending their day trying to avoid the Hudons. We raised them from peeps in a mixed environment so no one made them cross.

Back
Top Bottom