Rooster is abusing my pullet, I need a little guidance

babsterh

Chirping
11 Years
Jan 9, 2013
Suffolk, VA
I'll start out by saying that I never wanted to do the rooster thing. Well, one of my RIR is a rooster. He's 18 weeks old, he crows like crazy which we don't mind...what the issue is, is that he is trying to "couple" with all of our hens (13). The older girls (3) are 1.5 years old and big enough to correct his behavior. I have 5 newer hens that are 14 weeks old, he is constantly going after them and specifically hones in on the runt. The poor little runt was understandably shell shocked today after his latest attack. They all free range on 2.5 acres.

I've never had a rooster and need some guidance as to how I should handle his behavior. I've tried re-homing him with no luck so far. My husband said he would cull him if necessary but this seems a little drastic.

Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

My first advice would be to cull him. You say you never wanted a rooster in the first place, so why put up with an animal you didn't want, causing problems?

If you're determined to keep him, I'm on the older hen bandwagon. Figure something out to keep the younger hens away from him, if possible confine him with the older ladies for month or so.

Troy,
He has 3 hens that are a year and a half old, they don't want anything to do with him...he keeps trying but when he tries one of the older hens the other 2 come running to help.... then he goes after the runt.

Troy,
He has 3 hens that are a year and a half old, they don't want anything to do with him...he keeps trying but when he tries one of the older hens the other 2 come running to help.... then he goes after the runt.

I'm having this exact problem. I hope you get some help (me too)! Mine actually injured my small pullet this afternoon, she's limping terribly.

I'm having this exact problem. I hope you get some help (me too)! Mine actually injured my small pullet this afternoon, she's limping terribly.

I'm so sorry about your pullet Chickie, I hope that she's ok. My sweet little pullet was roughed up fairly bad, fortunately I was right there when it happened and was able to stop it. I really want to get rid of this rooster but no luck so far.

At 18 weeks his hormones are raging. Any chance you could pen him with a few of the older girls? I'd probably try to separate him from the younger girls for awhile.

Older hens are great for teaching manners, they wont put up with it. Also it works great if they are bigger then him/ work together . I agree, you need to separate him from your young girls before he does serious damage to them

Back
Top Bottom