Rooster is getting dominated

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Zylphrix, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Zylphrix

Zylphrix Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2007
    Hillsborough NC
    I have 1 Rooster and 3 Hens in a coop/run and while I notice the Roo runs things most of the time I also see 2 of the Hens picking at his back .. he has a pinfeather/bald back as he was with alot of other chickens when I got him so i figured the other roosters had plucked him. ... I also have a house hen whos a couple months behind the other birds and treats me like im a giant momma bird! .. My question is ..

What do I do to get the hens to stop picking at the Roosters pinfeathers? .. the Rooster I notice has been servicing his gals .. atleast it looks like it to me lol im new!

thanks
    Mark

Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

When you find out, let me know! One of my hens plucks Hawkeye's saddle feathers all the time. Here is my poor plucked rooster, who should have a backful of new feathers!
    [​IMG]

3. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    I think I remember over on EZBYC someone used Listerine cut with water and delivered with a spray bottle. We've only had experience with the girls munching the poor roo's comb (had to bring him inside to thaw the blood off) a couple of winters back. We used pine tar cut with betadine, antibiotic ointment and a couple drops of tea tree oil. That stopped the picking immediately (be aware that mix can be toxic and was applied in a very thin layer with q-tips).

Something bad tasting should do it. Hang up a couple of peaches on the fence (give the girls something else to worry).

Good Luck!

4. Mac

Mac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    South Central PA
    Looks like The Hawkster needs a saddle!

5. speckledhen

Yep a new product.. The Saddle Guard for Henpecked Roosters! It's only one girl and she only picks feathers off of him and no one else. Then she and several other of his younger wives peck and pull on his wattles and make them bleed so they just never heal.
    I've tried the following on his wattles:

BluKote
    TeaTree Oil in Vaseline
    Vet Rx
    DMSO
    Hot pepper juice & Tabasco in a petroleum base
    Ichthammol
    Stop Bite for fingernails
    Bitter Apple spray

These are some tough women! Next I get some wattle colored Vetwrap and cover up his personals, the poor boy.

6. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    poor feller is hen pecked,happens to most of us men folk,you old hens should be ashamed

7. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Payback time

8. speckledhen

If only the poor guy deserved it! Some roosters probably do, but Hawkeye's such a sweet boy and I feel so awful for him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by