Rooster is lethargic I think pls help

AstralBlue

Hatching
Aug 20, 2023
Ok I have a two roosters, one has a purple comb and he won't move around much. We got a heavy rain and most of the food was washed out of the feeding bin. It's been two days and well, he will eat and drink occasionally, but just not much. I'm 17 and I've been raising chickens for 4 years but I have never seen anything like this. I need help guys thanks.

Welcome To BYC

Can you post photos of him and his poop?

Did the feed get moldy when it washed out?

Take him aside, offer him electrolytes and some wet soupy feed. Examine him for lice/mites, tell us what his crop feels like too.

Have you ever dewormed him?

More information like his age, what you feed, your location (state is fine) and any other symptoms you've noticed would be helpful.

Thanks!

Welcome To BYC

Can you post photos of him and his poop?

Did the feed get moldy when it washed out?

Take him aside, offer him electrolytes and some wet soupy feed. Examine him for lice/mites, tell us what his crop feels like too.

Have you ever dewormed him?

More information like his age, what you feed, your location (state is fine) and any other symptoms you've noticed would be helpful.

Thanks!
It's kinda late as of rn.
But I will say that he isn't really looking too well.
His gizzard is purple near the top (comb area)
He is moving a little bit more than he was earlier (after giving him some dog food, which is probably not the best choice but we dont have any more chicken feed as of rn) and I gave him water every few hours. I've been checking up on him. He can seem to at least walk a good bit of distance, he can also drink and eat on his own a little bit, not to say that that's much, but he wasn't eating on his own at all earlier so I guess its a little bit of progress. Another rooster we have is showing similar symptoms, albeit not anywhere near as bad. He seems to be doing slightly better but that's about it. The food wasn't moldy either, in fact... It wasn't even there at all. It hadn't been for the 2-3 days I've been at school I'm assuming since no one else probably tended to them when I wasn't home. But the hens are in perfect health, which is odd considering there wasn't any food in either coop, there are 2 separate coops, but i usually let them roam free range.

It's kinda late as of rn.
But I will say that he isn't really looking too well.
His gizzard is purple near the top (comb area)
He is moving a little bit more than he was earlier (after giving him some dog food, which is probably not the best choice but we dont have any more chicken feed as of rn) and I gave him water every few hours. I've been checking up on him. He can seem to at least walk a good bit of distance, he can also drink and eat on his own a little bit, not to say that that's much, but he wasn't eating on his own at all earlier so I guess its a little bit of progress. Another rooster we have is showing similar symptoms, albeit not anywhere near as bad. He seems to be doing slightly better but that's about it. The food wasn't moldy either, in fact... It wasn't even there at all. It hadn't been for the 2-3 days I've been at school I'm assuming since no one else probably tended to them when I wasn't home. But the hens are in perfect health, which is odd considering there wasn't any food in either coop, there are 2 separate coops, but i usually let them roam free range.

I'm sorry they are not doing well.

Photos of both roosters would be a good idea.
Were they fighting?
I'd try to get some poultry food as soon as possible, get them hydrated and eating. Electrolytes for a couple of days would be good.

Fwiw - The Gizzard is part of the digestive system and grinds/processes food, it's not part of the comb.

I'm sorry they are not doing well.

Photos of both roosters would be a good idea.
Were they fighting?
I'd try to get some poultry food as soon as possible, get them hydrated and eating. Electrolytes for a couple of days would be good.

Fwiw - The Gizzard is part of the digestive system and grinds/processes food, it's not part of the comb.
Ok I got some pictures of em, they're doing better. Turns out the other one has a big cut under his wing. Tried adding disinfectant and cleaning the wound. That picture is before I cleaned it. It still looks pretty nasty. I got some poultry feed ordered. Expected to be here tomorrow. Also thanks about the gizzard correction.

Attachments

• 20230821_184751.jpg
    20230821_184751.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230821_184653.jpg
    20230821_184653.jpg
    393 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230821_184626.jpg
    20230821_184626.jpg
    521.6 KB · Views: 4
Ok I got some pictures of em, they're doing better. Turns out the other one has a big cut under his wing. Tried adding disinfectant and cleaning the wound. That picture is before I cleaned it. It still looks pretty nasty. I got some poultry feed ordered. Expected to be here tomorrow. Also thanks about the gizzard correction.
Poor guy!
Check both roosters again to make sure they don't have any additional wounds that are hidden under all their feathers.

The wound on your rooster, I'd try cleaning it again, trim some of the feathers away from his wound so it's easier to see and tend to.
If you have Hibiclens (Chlorhexidine) that would be good to use for cleaning the wound, then apply your ointment.
If you notice a bad odor or if the wound starts oozing pus, then it will need to be cleaned really well.

Keep working on getting them hydrated and eating. Keep me posted.

1692675025130.png

Feed them both some scrambled eggs to provide protein and boost their healing capacity until the chicken feed arrives. And add some poultry vitamins to their water

Back
Top Bottom