Rooster is lethargic.

HelloChicken

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 6, 2011
Ponchatoula, LA
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
- La Fleche Rooseter, 2-3 years old, he feels lighter than other birds.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
- Day1: Walking around yard slowly. Ignoring the food I threw out.
Took him out and out in pen by himself with food and water. He wouldnt touch it. Just sat in corner.

Day 2: Rained he got wet and I brought him inside. He had his head tilted straight up.
Once inside his crown and gobble (thing under his neck) had a purple hue to them.
I put in on towl and put some warm air on him to dry him off. Once dry I put two water bottles full of hot water next to him and left him covered with towel.
Still wont eat or drink. Cant walk.

Day 3: His color has completly come back to his crown and gobble.
He has made a few clucks but now looks like he is in pain.
He streches out his neck and almost moan/clucks.
He is streching his legs out behind him.
I have noticed a clear mucus in his mouth which I hace tried to wipe out.
I tried to give gim water with straw and he drank like one or two drops.
Still wont eat.

I did however find him in the corner of the room when I had left for a few hours.
So he was able to walk/crawl there. Not sure why but he moved.
He has pooped once but I was not around. It was normal.
He is twitching bad. He stretches his neck out and almost turns it around to his back.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
- For a 3 days now.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
- No other chicks are acting like this.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
- I see no bleeding or external injury. He is acting like he has brain trauma or something.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
- I just had a hawk attack the day of me finding him, The hawk did not attack him but istead got one of my baby frizzles. She has died. The rooster this is about was in his pen when the attack happened. Maybe he had been attacked or faught the hawk days before and it gave him a head/heart/lung injury????

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
- He has not been eatting or drinking.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
- The poop that I found was white. I couldnt tell anything else from it.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
- Just keeping him in a warm and quiet place. Inside away from other chickens.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
- Treat myself. We do not have a vet who helps with chickens around here.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
- A picture wouldnt really help. He is just like seisuring and streching his legs and neck out.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
- He is in a carboard box, with a towel and two water bottles full of warm water.

He just died.
I would still really appreciate someone answering this if they can.
I want to help my chickens when they get sick or know ways to prevent whatever caused this.
Is not I need to know the most peascful way to put them down.

-Thanks.

He just died.
I would still really appreciate someone answering this if they can.
I want to help my chickens when they get sick or know ways to prevent whatever caused this.
Is not I need to know the most peascful way to put them down.

-Thanks.

Very sorry to hear your boy passed. Symptoms suggest possibly a respiratory infection. Respiratory infections can be treated with antibiotics,ie: tylan,baytril,tetracycline. If any chicken does not eat for 24-48 hours they have to be tube fed otherwise they most likely will die of dehydration/starvation.

I keep in my chicken first aid kit tetracycline for some respiratory issues,aspirin for pain/swelling,epsom salts for soaks which help with sprains/swelling,antibiotic ointment,amprolium for coccidiosis,vitamins and electrolytes,hot water bottle,equipment for tube feeding and calcium tablets or tums for egg bound hens.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the reply, I will try my best to get everything you have listed. I hate feeling like I can do nothing to help :[
This is actually the second chicken I've had go lethargic.
I was worried it might be our well water? Do you think that could cause any problems?

Thank you so much for the reply, I will try my best to get everything you have listed. I hate feeling like I can do nothing to help :[
I was worried it might be our well water? Do you think that could cause any problems?

I have well water,never had a problem. Water in my house is conditioned with a water softener,but water outside is not. I will ask my husband(journeyman plumber)if well water could cause illness,and post response.

The purple tinge to wattles was probably from him getting chilled as color returned after he warmed up,but purple comb/wattles can be a result of heart issues.

One more thing to consider is worms,if chickens show weight loss but are eating then worms might be the problem.

Last edited:
I have well water,never had a problem. Water in my house is conditioned with a water softener,but water outside is not. I will ask my husband(journeyman plumber)if well water could cause illness,and post response.

The purple tinge to wattles was probably from him getting chilled as color returned after he warmed up,but purple comb/wattles can be a result of heart issues.

One more thing to consider is worms,if chickens show weight loss but are eating then worms might be the problem.

Oh okay, thank you! I was just worried the iron in the water might be bad for chickens :[
His color was back to the rose red right before he died. Is there a way to check if your chickens have heart problems? Or can they get heart worms and that cause problems?

The only threats I can think of :
• Our pen holds water (we're trying to get dirt to make it sit higher so the rain doesnt stay in it). So there's probably mud mixed with poo and that makes me worry about worms or causing problems for them, The chickens do have a 3-4 foot fully covered area that stays dry though.
• We have a ditch that the kitchen sink runs out in, It has little white worms (I think...they move in the water and are stuck in the mud). I have no idea what they are and my mom said she thinks they're okay (BUT NOT ME!!) I have caught our chickens drinking from it (even though we have a little pond and water in their pen, they still drink from it and I chase them off)
• The recent hawk attack tells me this chicken hawk has problem been hanging around our farm. Maybe it has tried attacking the chickens and that might cause stress and lead to heart problems? (like a heart attack)

According to my husband who is a journeyman plumber,well water will not cause illness in animals or people. The only time there may be an issue is if your holding tank or septic field is leaking,then you may have contamination of your well water. If concerned,get your well water tested for bacteria,we test our water every couple of years.

Back
Top Bottom