Rooster is mean to the hens - help!

songbird

Songster
14 Years
Feb 16, 2009
New England
Hi everyone,
I have a flock of 13 chickens that are about 10-11 weeks old. There are 7 standard pullets, and 6 bantams, of whom at least 3 appear to be males.
sad.png
One of the roos has been spending lots of time chasing and constantly biting the second smallest bantam....who, it turns out, is now also crowing. But today, that same grumpasaurus roo is chasing everyone around, constantly, biting everyone. He is especially picking on one particular hen, but as I said, he's biting everyone. We handle the chickens a lot, and this guy also scratches a lot when held. What should I do??? I can't watch them constantly, so I put him in a large wire dog crate, inside the run with the others for the time being. Is he going to continue to be mean? He sure is not guiding a peaceful flock. I did not actually want ANY roos, but then thought I might keep one of the frizzle roos because he is very nice (so far.) I don't know if I have to keep grumpo separated, or if they'll just work it out and be nice, or if at this age, I need to get rid of all but one roo. Please help!

HUM.....if it was me.....I would sell him. I have a Frizzle roo with my flock, he is so nice to all of us.
big_smile.png
(chickens, kids, DH and me)

I don't LIKE to sell the other roos, BUT enough is enough.
sad.png

Yes, the other frizzle roo (there are 2) is a sweet guy. I have 5 little kids, the oldest being 7, so I cannot take a chance on having a roo that's a meanie to kids. This one, who is in chicken-jail right now, so far is only beating up on the chickens.

It's hard to tell if this is normal pecking order/flock dominance behavior or the sign of a mean rooster. It's all the same thing, just a matter of degree. And I cannot tell you which rooster is less likely to go after your kids. The roosters can change after they go through puberty and become flock masters. You want a rooster that will protect his flock, keep them from squabbling, call them over for food, and just keep things running smoothly. But you don't want a rooster that thinks you or the kids are part of his flock and need to be disciplined. Sometimes that line can get thin.

I'm in a totally different situation, but if I were you, I think I'd eliminate all but the one rooster you plan to keep as soon as practical. The flock is developing its flock dynamics right now and will be disrupted less in the long run if you make the changes sooner rather than later. And the less attached you get, the easier it will be.

Good luck!

I agree with Ridgerunner. Caging him like that may knock him down a peg or two. Humiliation works well on a rowdy rooster. I would give him a few days in the cell. Make sure the others can see him. When you let him out you will know pretty soon if it's gonna work. If not...rehome or freeze. Good Luck

Thanks, everyone. I let the mean guy out of the crate this morning, so he was really only in for the evening and the night. He behaved himself pretty well for about 2 hours, but by the end of the day it was mayhem again, with him chasing, biting, and scaring everyone. Poor Tulip, my 5 year old's EE, gets the brunt of it. When this roo spots her, he goes out of his way to go attack her. This behavior, I believe, is also making the girls scrap more. Do you think I should keep him confined to the crate for longer? As I said, the crate is in the predator-proof, enclosed run area, but the chickens free range during the day. (Yes, this behavior is occuring when they are free-ranging as well as in the coop.)
I posted him on Freecycle and Craigslist last night, but so far, no luck.

I'm having exactly the same problem with my two roosters. Any advice on how long to keep roosters in chicken jail for? He has a separate run, so techinically he could stay in indefinintely - but I feel bad for the nasty booger, being all by himself.

(I'm also working on finding my nasty roo another home)

Back
Top Bottom